1755447 Members
3739 Online
108833 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mount limitations under HP-UX Integrity

Rende Luitjes
Occasional Advisor

Mount limitations under HP-UX Integrity

During my daily duties I have stumbled upon a Tru64 UNIX application that is soon to be migrated off to a new HP-UX Integrity based platform.

The application in question uses an extensive amount of simultanious DVD image file system mounts.

The rumour has now popped up that HP-UX should have some relatively low limitation of simultanious file system mounts, somewhere in the range of 600. Under Tru64 UNIX this was never much of an issue, as >1000 simultanious mounts could take place easily.

Apart from the question if it would be sensible or not to keep so many simultanious DVD images mounted at the same time, I have a hard time finding any documentation as to what the real limitations are for the maximum number of file system mounts under HP-UX.

Does anyone have some feedback for me on this matter?

Kind regards,

Rende
3 REPLIES 3
Rende Luitjes
Occasional Advisor

Re: Mount limitations under HP-UX Integrity

Dennis,

Your feedback made me reread the design notes of this application and I must reformulate the requirement of having to mount DVD ISO images.

After some more careful reading, it turns out that the DVD's contents are stored on individual SAN-based filesystems. Each DVD will get its own seperate filesystem.

The number of DVD images that have been collected over time well exceeds 1000 by now.

Functionally it is required that all these file systems should be mounted simultaniously.

Precisely therefor we're trying to identify if HP-UX holds some sort of restriction with respect to the number of filesystem mounts.

Kind regards,

Rende
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Mount limitations under HP-UX Integrity

>it turns out that the DVD's contents are stored on individual SAN-based filesystems. Each DVD will get its own separate filesystem.

Ok, you have already solved the first problem.

>Functionally it is required that all these file systems should be mounted simultaneously.

I suppose you could use the automounter so that only as many as currently used are mounted.

>we're trying to identify if HP-UX holds some sort of restriction with respect to the number of filesystem mounts.

I'm not aware of any. Other than NFS hangs and leaks in the automounter.