1755700 Members
3273 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Need help to cfg wlm and wlmpard

YLTan
Frequent Advisor

Need help to cfg wlm and wlmpard

I have two servers in virtual partition. I have to use WLM to move one cpu from vparA(lower priority, currently have 2CPU) to another vparB(highest priority, currently with 4CPU), when the APP_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL glance_app metrics exceed 90% in vparB server. Eventually when the APP_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL > 90% in vparB, the total cpu in vparB is 5.

I read the wlm docs and here is what I can figure out but not sure if this is workable. Can some one help??
Do I need to have the same wlm.cfg on both vparA and vparB?
How do I know if vparA will release one cpu to vparB when condition are met?
Where should I run the wlmpard? in both vpar or in the highest priority vparB?

-------------------------------------
vparB_arb.cfg file content:

vpar {
partitions = vparB.sd16 : vparB,
vparA.sd16 : vparA;
interval = 120;
weight = vparB.sd16: 2;
port = 9691;
}
-------------------------------------

vparB_wlm.cfg file content

# HP-UX WLM configuration

primary_host = vparB :9691 ;

prm {
groups =
cmsp_cpu : 2;
}

slo slo_cmsp_cpu {
pri = 1;
entity = PRM group cmsp_cpu;
cpushares = 500 total;
condition = metric CMSP_CPU_UTIL > 90;
}

tune CMSP_CPU_UTIL {
coll_argv = wlmrcvdc
glance_app APP_CPU_TOTAL_UTIL "CMS_CMSP";
}

tyl
1 REPLY 1
Dan Herington
Advisor

Re: Need help to cfg wlm and wlmpard

There is a MUCH easier way to do this. The short answer is to use CPU Usage goals (WLM will collect the utilization data for you - no need to use Glance).

Use the configuration wizard to set up the WLM configs in each vPar. The global arbiter config you have above should be fine.

Set the max in vparA to 200 shares and the max in vparB to 500 shares and make the SLO priority for vparB higher than the priority of the SLO in vparA.

There is a whitepaper on our website that covers this in step by step detail. You can get to it by going to www.hp.com/go/wlm and clicking on the "information library" link in the menu. It is the first whitepaper in the bottom right column titled "integrating with other products"