3388 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network

Lesley Reilly
Occasional Contributor

Network

Hi

I am trying to network a HP pavilion computer (the host computer) to an 'emachine' I have added an network card to the HP machine (the emachine already has ethernet installed) when I use the XP wizard on the emachine everything appears to be fine - but when I run the wizard on the HP machine I get the attached message. Can anyone give me advice as to how to sort this out - by the way I am no techie - so if you could keep it simple I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Lesley
2 REPLIES 2
James Specht
Trusted Contributor

If you are connecting them without a switch or hub then you have to use a cross-over cable a standard network cable will not work when directly connect.

--Jim
"Everyone can be taught to sculpt: Michelangelo would have had to be taught how not to. So it is with the great programmers."
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

After you installed the network card did the HP find it and install it? Right click on My Network Places and select Properties. In the window that comes up you should have a Local Area Connection of type LAN. This should be your new network card. If you do not see it then you need to go to Control Panel and select Add Hardware and get the card installed before anything else is going to work. You can also look under Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager where you should see an entry for Network Adapters. Click on it and it should show you your network card. IF it has a red or yellow mark next to it then it is not working correctly. Best to use Device manager to remove it and the reboot and let Windows find it. IF it does not appear at all then you did not install it correctly (Are you sure you got it fully seated in its connector? Turn Power off before playing with it.) or you still need to use the Add Hardware wizzard.

Once you have a Local Area Connection of type LAN then look to see if it is enabled, disabled, or unplugged. If Disabled, double click on Local Area Connection and it will bring up a new window with an Enable button. Click on it. If unplugged you probably have the wrong cable or you have plugged it in the wrong place on one end. IT must be a Crossover cable if you are connecting without a hub or switch.

If Enabled then double click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. You should see a new window which lists your network adapter in the first window (Connect Using). If not then there should have been another Local Area Connection 2. Go back and do it instead. There should be a list of protocols below this. You need to have at least Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If you are missing one then press Install and add it. Otherwise, double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Are: Obtain an Ip Address Automatically and
Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically both checked? If not what IP address and mask do you see?

Now open a DOS window (start/run/cmd) and type:

ipconfig /all

Do the same on the other PC.

Once you have both enabled and not unplugged then you can compare the IP addresses and masks that you got from ipconfig /all. The IP addresses should be the same except for the last number. The masks should be the same. If not note what you have and post it here.

Assuming they look good go back to your DOS window and type:

ping A.B.C.D

where A.B.C.D is the IP address of the OTHER PC.

Do you get replies? If so the network connection is good. You may want to map a network drive. Windows Explorer/Tools/Map Network Drive. Assign it a Drive letter and use the IP address of the other PC. It will probably ask you for a login and password. Give it one that is valid on the other machine. It should then put your new drive letter in the left pane of the Explorer and then you can double click on it like it was a local harddrive.

Ron