2120 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NIS maps sync after password change

YairZaretski
Occasional Contributor

NIS maps sync after password change

Hey,

I have a NIS Master and two NIS Slaves in my system. I also configure password expiration every 3 weeks.
My problem is, if a user tries to login to one of the slaves and is prompted for a new password, it is being changed in the NIS Master. Therefore, until ypxfr is run from the slave, the passwords in the Master and in the Slaves are not the same and the user cannot login using any one of them.

my question is, can anyone think of a better solution than running the ypxfr cron job every minute?

Please help me with this..
Thanks,
Yair
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You simply haven't configured the yppasswdd (yppasswd daemon) correctly. Having to do a ypxfr every minute is Looney Tunes; once per hour should more than suffice. Look in /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs and make sure that the YPPASSWDD_OPTIONS (especially -m options) are properly set. Man yppasswdd for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

please keep in mind, that yppasswdd is needed only on the NIS master itself!

mfG Peter
The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"
Rasheed Tamton
Honored Contributor

Hey,

ypxfr only pulls the new copies of the maps from the master to slave, if there are any changes (ONLY if there are changes on the maps).

You can also do a yppush on the master server so that it will propagate the maps to the slave servers.

How about a script (a watchdog) on the master server which will check for the passwd changes and if there are changes, then it will just call a yppush to push it to the slave servers - not a very good solution!

The last NIS admin stuff I did was five years ago or more.

Regards,
Rasheed Tamton.