1755013 Members
3218 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

no xwindow/cde botting

al-ansaar

no xwindow/cde botting

wen i log in to the my unix workstation that is a hp c200 on hp-ux 11.00.b version.
it goes in to console mode and the xwindow/cde is not booting it just goes to the black console screen im not a expert on hp-ux im only lerning pleas can some one help me. thanx reguards ansar
4 REPLIES 4
Elmar Bueker
Occasional Advisor

Re: no xwindow/cde botting

Hello!

Please check /var/dt/Xerrors here are the errors logged when somethings going wrong strating the X-Server.
Check if the hostname and the entry in /etc/hosts match. The X-Server won't start when the hostname is not found in /etc/hosts.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

You can also check /etc/rc.config.d/desktop. It should contain an environment variable DESKTOP that is set to something like CDE

Did CDE boot correctly in the past on this server?

Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Catherine Forget
Frequent Advisor

Hi, I had the problem a couple of times and did not know what it was. I had to go in /usr/dt/bin/dtrc and modify the line that define DTRC_D so it does not find the directory (i.e. change the name of the file) and restart the CDE from /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc. It worked for me. Hope that helps.
Marc Ahrendt
Super Advisor

also keep in mind that CDE is not typically run unless you boot all the way up to run-level 3 ...so look at the 1st line in /etc/inittab to verify what run-level you boot to (or run "who -r")
hola