1755826 Members
4002 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

nospace - /dev/root - 1 extent left

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

nospace - /dev/root - 1 extent left

I've started getting the above message (or very similar), but only occassionally, and I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to track down the cause.

/dev/root is NOT mounted, and all of the filesystems look good, both when running bdf or du -k.

HP-UX 11.0 on K-class, LVM, no online JFS,

I did get the message once when a large ftp transfer was taking place, and once during the "shutdown" phase of a reboot.

Any ideas?

Thx...Scott
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: nospace - /dev/root - 1 extent left

If a file had filled up /, been removed, but was still open by the process writing to it, / would continue to grow - that's the only scenario I know of that could cause you to continue to get the message.

Pete

Pete
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Sys Adm,

Even thought you might have already checked it this thread might give you some guidance:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1003681&admit=-682735245+1155045772144+28353475

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

mentinoning of /dev/root makes me think that when this system was initially brought up, it came up in LVM maintenance mode and then comands like initi 3 or init 4 might have been run to take it up to normal operation mode.

As Pete said, there might have been some data streams left attached to /dev/root device at that time which were continuing to grow.

If you can afford about 30 minutes of down time, I'd suggest rebooting the system.

Mel,

The system WAS in LVM maintenance mode several months ago, and has been rebooted twice since to install patches.

What puzzles me, is why the message(s) refer to "/dev/root" when it is not, and has not, been mounted since the lvm maintenance was complete.

OldSchool
Honored Contributor

Lets try this again, as I got an authentication error when submitting:

Pete:

Yep, I knew that one. BTW: its /dev/root that is in the message. I know this usually comes from lvm maintenance if you don't bounce the box

Mel:

The server WAS in LVM maint / single user mode, but that was about a year ago. Box has been rebooted at least twice since then, plus one extended period (12+ hours) of power-off time, due to electrical problems with the building and generators.

What's got me confused is its talking about /dev/root. I know it's not mounted, as I would have had to mount it myself.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

I think that's just a function of the way the error message refers to the file systems. It doesn't say that /var is full, for example. It says /dev/vg00/lvol9. In the case of root, I suspect it just refers to at as /dev/root. If you had come directly out of LVM maint mode, bdf would show it as /dev/root as well.

Pete

Pete
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

No /dev/root in bdf. checked fstab/checklist, and no dice.. it's not mounted

I can to a "bdf /dev/root" and get the results as if I had done "bdf /" (except for the name of course).

So, maybe root filled up. One user was ftp'ing a large file into directory under /, and during the shutdown, I suppose the log file write could have tripped the message.

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well, if you're not still getting the message, bdf reports OK, du looks good, and the system is still running, I would say you're seeing a historical event in the log and it's not still full.

Pete

Pete
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

The problem reared its ugly head Friday, during the ftp session, and once again Monday morning when we did a shutdown -h so I could pull a couple of cards out.

It's hasn't occurred since the system came back up.

Its more of a head scratcher than anything.

Thx..