1755520 Members
5477 Online
108834 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ntp configuration

Ian Patterson
Advisor

ntp configuration

Hi there, We run ntp to a central ntp server and obtain coordinated time for all of our systems routers devices and servers on both secure and unsecure networks. For the secure network we use a dedicated ntp server and for our unsecure or should I say less secure network we use another dedicated ntp server.

The NTP servers have their own sattelite dishes and obtain accurate time from the US military GPS sattelite. This has been operating successfully for us now for 7 years and has meant that our entire campus is has become more stable as a consequence. We no longer get databases starting ahead of each other and can isolate when faults occur and backups schedule in order and at controlled intervals. The only catch really is ensuring that desktops link and update regularly to avoid slippage issues this we have found simply requires that the desktops be shutdown and restarted to pick up an updated time.

If this is of some help lets know and I can supply further details for you but the ntp server concept works really well for us in both Unix and windows environments.

Ian
2 REPLIES 2
Mark McDonald_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: ntp configuration

Thanks Ian
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: ntp configuration

For systems running *nix at least, it should be possible to configure them to constantly run an NTP daemon to keep time synced with the main time source(s) and the need to restart the systems to sync time should be nearly nil.

I thought that Windows could be convinced to sync time from an NTP server as well?

My understanding from watching the NTP gurus argue in netnews :) is that one should have at least three time sources at each stratum as it gives redundancy and allows detection of what they seem to call false tickers.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows