New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ok, no laughing, HP-UX 8 Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gerard Leclercq
Trusted Contributor

The limit is 2GB for hpux 8.

You can use your 36GB disk, but only the first 2GB, and only if you can get all the hardware parameters for /etc/disktab because this 36GB disk was unknown by hpux 8.

Gerard
hein coulier
Frequent Advisor

perhaps you can import the disk on a remote server and nfs-import 2Gb-chunks on your hpux8 box ?
Jeff Barnes_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info so far. We are currently using 9GB drives, or rather the 1st 2Gb of a 9Gb drive. I am now looking at all of the info provided to see if I can build up the files for the 36Gb drives.

The machine does see the drive on boot and can read the prper model number info so maybe I will get loucky :)

Thanks.
Time, Cost, Quality...Choose any two
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Jeff,

I inherited such an old box once (it was used as a manufacturing robot controller) and ran into the same problem -- no spare parts were easily available. So I did an NFS mount from another server; it was a 10.20 server at the time, but I think even a brand new one or even another OS would work.

It's not as reliable, but if you need more space this might be the easiest solution. But consider upgrading that box soon, you'll run into problems if you don't.

Thanks
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

Upgrading the o/s may not be an option now, but you are spending a lot of your salaried time looking into upgrades of obsolete equipment. Someone needs to be told that eventually it will be cheaper to buy a new box (even an A class) that does have a supported o/s and will run a lot quicker, even when you consider the cost of testing. Then again, maybe its a hardware interface reason that you have to stick to 8 and I am barking up the wrong tree.
Jeff Barnes_1
Occasional Advisor

Steve you are correct, it is specialized h/w that can only run 8, long story on a legacy product.

Thanks
Shane Travis
Frequent Advisor

Jeff, for what it's worth, (almost) anything that will run on HPUX 8 will run equally well on HPUX 9... and the system support tools are a little more humane on 9 (plus you can accommodate larger disks and you've got an early version of lvm). I know this because a long time ago we had to upgrade a large software project from 8 to 9, and the regression testing went off without a hitch.

The real cliff is going from 9 to 10, because then they changed the underlying architecture, location of admin files, etc. That was deemed to be too much trouble (locally) so we stuck with 9 on these projects, which they still run to this day.

Point of the story is that if you're going to be running this system for a while yet, it might be worth your while to procure some installation disks for HPUX 9 (or better yet 9.05) and try a port of your specialized systems to that platform. Should be relatively painless, and it would make long-term system maintenance a lot easier.

Good luck!
Q4you
Regular Advisor

Buy a B180 HP workstation or a K260 on ebay for 250 bucks or so ( you may get it free with just shipping charge)

Add 36 drive on that ( exteral or internal), create 18 LV of 2G each, export. NFS mount on your 8.0 system.
Jeff Barnes_1
Occasional Advisor

Shane...thanks, unfortuanly we are stuck on 8 forever (long story) and there is no way to munt drive either.....talk about you rock and a hard place :)
Shane Travis
Frequent Advisor

Bummer, man.

As I said, write me directly if there's anything I can do to help. (Hrm, my e-mail doesn't seem to be anywhere on the ITRC; check the reporter here (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=267873) to get it.)

Good luck, Jeff!