1755573 Members
3936 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 9i

R. Allan Hicks
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i

I'm running 9i on HPUX 11.00. I have 1Gbyte of ram and I get into some memory crunch problems too and I'm not in production yet. So, I'm still tuning memory and begging managment for 'a little more please' ( I get the same reaction as oliver twist did).

Two other footnotes:

I started with 9.0.1 and as one would suspect I had a lot of trouble with it. Especially dbca (database creation assistant). I finally got it to generate the installation scripts so I could tweak them. I'm on 9.2.0.1 and the dbca appears to be a lot better.

Also, I believe one of the other respondents meantioned it, and I would like to add support to the installation of Jserver. I have had some experience with 8.1.7 and 9.0.1. The java pool needs to be on the high side of what Oracle recommends. I had a guy in a newsgroup recommend that I take Oracle's recommendation and double it. So far, he appears to be right.

Good Luck
"Only he who attempts the absurd is capable of achieving the impossible
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Although gigabytes of RAM is not inexpensive, the alternative is unusable performance. Oracle requires gigabytes of RAM to perform well. Less than 1Gb and yes, Oracle can be coaxed to run but queries can take minutes, even hours. Oracle is not cheap so it is amazing that IT management would choose to cripple this very expensive program with too little RAM.

If you are considering Oracle, don't accept anything smaller than 2Gb for 32bit versions of Oracle, and 4Gb (or larger) for 64bit versions. Management may say "We'll make it work" but the reality is that minimally acceptable performance is not possible with less than 1Gb of RAM. And the sysadmin gets the blame because there should be some "magic" kernel parameter will make Oracle run faster with inadequate RAM.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Check this out from Kingston:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=+8813+&distributor=0&submit=Find

A 2GB Kit for an L2000 is $1,215 (US dollars). That is pretty darn reasonable if you ask me. I would go with Bill Hassell's recommendation and add at least 4GB to this machine ($2,430 US). I think you would be VERY pleased with the performance once you add that amount of RAM.