6032 Online
108959 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle Toolkit stop or shutdown?

Pedro Cirne
Esteemed Contributor

Oracle Toolkit stop or shutdown?

Hi,

I'm setting up a package using HP Oracle Toolkit for Service Guard.

If I understood correctly, when halting the package, the script /etc/cmcluster/pkg/ORACLE_TEST0/toolkit.sh with "stop" will do a "shutdown abort", but it's possible to run the toolkit.sh with "shutdown" and a "shutdown immediate" will be executed.

Does someone knows if the "shutdown immediate" hangs a "shutdown abort" will be automatically tried?

Thks!
2 REPLIES 2
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Toolkit stop or shutdown?

Hi Pedro,

you understand well, toolkit.sh when stopping does a "shutdown abort".
It's so because the SG concept is to get switched the package on another node as soon as possible, "shutdown immediate" should instead close the database in a graceful way and so asking more time before to switch the package.

If you want you can modify the toolkit.sh to "shutdown immediate", even though it's not recommended it's tecnically possible.

HTH.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Carlos Zoller
Frequent Advisor

Re: Oracle Toolkit stop or shutdown?

Hello Pedro, Oracle shutdown includes three steps, 1. Close the database. 2. Unmount the database. 3. shutdown the instance,

By doing a "shutdown immediate", it will have to wait until RDBMS can rollback current transactions, disconnect all connected users, so depending on the database load at the momento of failover it might take some time. On the other hand "Shutdown abort" will bypass steps 1 and 2, and go straight to 3, this will be done in a blink no matter how loaded the database might be at the time, but in turn will take a little more time to startup on the failover node, since it will have to do some recovery while starting up.

Now, to answer your question: Does someone knows if the "shutdown immediate" hangs a "shutdown abort" will be automatically tried? -- Absolutely not, if shutdown immediate hangs it will be there forever and ever, and you'll have to interrupt it manually.

My recommendation will be not to change this and leave the "shutdown abort", I used this once on a Oracle system with Service Guard and there were never issues like loosing data or something similar.

I hope this clarifies the picture for you.

RGs,

Carlos.