1755067 Members
3278 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OT: A day to remember

Sean OB_1
Honored Contributor

OT: A day to remember

On this day we remember those killed in the attacks in New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania.

Instead of vowing revenge on those that help commit these attacks I ask that everyone take a moment to think about how you can make the world a better place.

Maybe it's a simple act of kindness. Perhaps it's teaching tolerance to your children. For some it will be donating time or money to charities.

We all have the power within us to make the world a better place. Let's not sit back and hope that others make the changes needed, let's look within and start the change ourselves.

Sean
3 REPLIES 3
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: OT: A day to remember

Sean,

I agree that's the best response, but it doesn't do anything to relieve the rage we feel inside, no matter how devout we are about turning the other cheek.

Pete

Pete
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Pete,

Oh, boy...a lot could be said about rage and forgiveness and about healing our griefs in the wake of such monstrous actions as those of a year ago.

You're right -- we need to feel rage at what happened. We can't just say "gee, those SOBs ought to all be blown away!" and go back to our daily lives. We need to take some kind of action.

Sean is right-on with his thought, as well! We need to take action that will promote healing both in ourselves and in others who have been affected.

I believe that we, as a nation desiring peace in the world, are justified in going after these terrorists and wiping them out, along with all who harbor them and their causes. Only by doing this can we expect to see their murderous activities ended.

In the meantime, we as individuals must find some way to heal our damaged psyches. Holding hatred and rage inside doesn't promote this kind of healing. The kind of actions that Sean suggests are those that can promote personal healing.

It's a hard thing to do, but most of the best things in life have a price.

I wish every one reading this the kind of peace that only comes from letting go of hatred and allowing forgiveness to take hold of their hearts!

Dave
Romans 8:28
Tom Maloy
Respected Contributor

Found in one of those airline "magazines" - really a sales catalog. Don't know who wrote it. Just a tad too long for my personal quote...

The Essence of a New Day

This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind... let it be something good!

Carpe diem!