108869 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Package of running Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan Ma
Frequent Advisor

Re: Package of running Oracle

In my opinion, I think listener should not be included in the package of oracle.

My point is that if listener is dead, there is no need to fail over. Only restarting the listener will work. ( In my system, Oracle package retry time is 0 )

If the package fail over only because the listener is dead, it will affect all current user as well ( Oracle shutdown / startup ).

So I think the listener should not be included in the package. Make it more clear, listener should not be included in PID monitoring in the package.

Do my point stand?
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ryan,

the Listener should be part of the oracle package configuration. It is not required if the listener is not used at all times. But if you are planning on using the listener, it should be part of the oracle package script. IF you have to manually start the listener after the package has started, it defeats the purpose of the MC/SG. You are required to manually intervene to start a required process for that package.

The system will not failover the package if the listener dies, because the same is not monitored by the MC/SG. To monitor a process by the SG you have to define it in the service being monitored. At any time, you can close the listener and see, wether the package is failing over. As per my understanding the package will not failover if the listener dies. The package startup scripts just tries to start the listener after the oracle database has started.

Hope this helps. To make listener a part of the package script finally depends on the SA handling the system and the DBA involved. But i certainly won't suggest the listener to be kept out of the package startup script.

thanks
Ryan Ma
Frequent Advisor

Sanjay,

Thanks for your explanation. Before, I am confused because my package monitor listener PID as well. And I think it is unnecessary and need to be modified.

Monitored process = ora_pmon_TST, pid = 23123
Monitored process = ora_dbw0_TST, pid = 23126
Monitored process = ora_ckpt_TST, pid = 23138
Monitored process = ora_smon_TST, pid = 23140
Monitored process = ora_lgwr_TST, pid = 23136
Monitored process = ora_reco_TST, pid = 23142
Monitored process = tnslsnrTST, pid = 23080
Monitored process = tnslsnrAPPS_TST, pid = 23091

Read my last sentence in last message, "listener should not be included in PID monitoring in the package."
It is just similar to your explanation and I am not taking out listener from oracle package.
May be my wording mislead you. :(

Now I know what I have to do and thanks for all your reply.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Listener is never monitored. Only the ora_pmon_SID_NAME and other ora processes are monitored. If any of these processes failed the package will failover. I was earlier talking to my DBA some days back and she said that she can live without a few of these processes but not all of them, so it is upto the customer, either you monitor the processes and failover whenever one of them fails or you don't monitor them at all. If you don't monitor these processes, the oracle database can be brought down and still the package will not failover. So the choice is for the DBA to make.

We have a flag set into the monitor script and if we touch a file, we can still bounce the database and the package will not failover though the processes are being monitored. when we touch this file i'm talking about, the monitoring of the processes is stopped and my DBA can do the online database maintainance.

Hope this explains a little about the way we are monitoring the ora processes.

Thanks