Operating System - HP-UX
1756218 Members
2528 Online
108843 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Packet Loss on HP Gigabit card

Packet Loss on HP Gigabit card

Am having problems with packet loss on a gigabit card with a fiber connection to a gigabit switch.

We have done everything to troubleshoot the card, cable, port on the switch, try a new cable, even a new card, to no avail?

Currently, we are suspecting the driver bound to this card.

It is installed in an N Class on hw path 1/10/0/0...

Any takers?
If I can't be part of the Greatest, I just have to be the Greatest myself!
6 REPLIES 6
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: Packet Loss on HP Gigabit card

can you go into a bit more detail about this packet loss? what sort of load are you trying to provide to the NIC? what does lanadmin show - does it show outbound discards? if so, that means the transmit queue is overflowing.

any other details would also be good.

the usual song and dance about being on the latest patches applies :)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows

Well, one thing that I found, both cards are showing up with the same mac address in Lanscan, so now, I am going to start tracing drivers, major/minor #'s, etc..
If I can't be part of the Greatest, I just have to be the Greatest myself!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If 2 cards are showing with identical MAC addresses then part of the problem may be some of the config files for the card. Check the files in /etc/rc.config.d/* that are appropriate for these cards and make sure that the MAC address is not specified in the file.
Brian Hackley
Honored Contributor

Hi, this reply is probably well after you resolved the issue. However, just in case...the config file is /etc/rc.config.d/hpgelanconf however check to be CERTAIN that other config files e.g. hpetherconf are not changing the MAC address, too. If you need to change the MAC address online, lanadmin -A PPA e.g.
lanadmin -A 0x0060b0654321 1 to change the mac address of card in PPA #1 (as seen from lanscan).
Hope this helps,
-> Brian Hackley
Ask me about telecommuting!
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

U can also try enabling and disabling auto negotiation

# lanadmin -X AUTO_ON

Sundar
Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Deshpande Prashant
Honored Contributor

HI
I had trouble with GBlan card and Cisco Switch 5000 with auto negotation on. Now with auto negotation off on both sides we are fine.

Thanks.
Prashant.
Take it as it comes.