1754319 Members
3126 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

password in the /etc/group file

john guardian
Super Advisor

password in the /etc/group file

has anyone ever seen/used this on an 11i-v<1-3> system? I've never seen it used, so just asking?

Thx.
4 REPLIES 4
RickT_1
Valued Contributor

Re: password in the /etc/group file

John,

I have never used that part of the group file. There may be another reason for not using it, according to the manual, there isn't a tool for setting group passwords.

Rick
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi john,

No one uses the "encrypted password" field on /etc/group especially on 11iv2 and v3 operating systems. You will see the same documented everywhere. However, one significant point you need to know is that this field must be present as a dummy field on /etc/group with two placeholders :: else it will corrupt your /etc/group file and will be reported by grpck.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Just one more thing wanted to add in the previous post. On /etc/fstab, on modern operating systems no one uses the "backup frequency" field anymore. But you still need a placeholder 0 there, dont you?. It's pretty much similar here.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are you refering about use asterisk's (*) character into second field of an entry?

In Name Service Switch (NIS) configurations:
The asterisk (*) in the password field prevents people from using the plus sign as a valid group name if NIS is not running.

For more information, type man 4 group at the HP-UX prompt. Also check this:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-1154/ch04s05.html#bjabfhff

Rgds.