Operating System - HP-UX
1754398 Members
2914 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Pointers to unaligned variables in cc(bundled)

Gilles Allard
Advisor

Pointers to unaligned variables in cc(bundled)

My application requires access to variables through pointers. There is a "bus error" when a short is on a odd address or when a long is not on an address divisible by 4.
I know that ANSI-C compiler provides a +u1 switch but I absolutely need to use the bundled compiler. Is there an equivalent way?
I actually use macros to access those variables but I would prefer a nicer way.
Thanks
1 REPLY 1
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Pointers to unaligned variables in cc(bundled)

Hi Gilles,

There is no direct workaround for this. You really need the +u1 option which is not available.

One workaround (it's not pretty) is to put all the variables in question inside a struct and then use the #praga HP_ALIGN NOPADDING PUSH

This has the effect of aligning the struct members on byte boundaries and saving the current alignment. You then use the #pragma HP_ALIGN POP to restore the original alignment. The #pragma's must be at the file scope level and thus any of your routines which manipulate the variables should be inside a function.

Years ago I had to use macros like you describe for just this purpose. Make sure that you put some defines in your code so that the macros can handle both bigg-endian and little-endian data representation.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.