1771263 Members
2234 Online
109004 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing from HPUX to any non-HP network printer

Edward Carey
Occasional Advisor

Printing from HPUX to any non-HP network printer

Recently we purchased a Canon Multi-function printer, ImageRunner 3570... And I would like to configure our HPUX 11.11 to print to this printer...

How can I create a queue to print reports to this printer, or if there are any ways to print.

Any helps are appreciated.... Thx
HP Tech Area
2 REPLIES 2
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You are going to have to configure this as a remote printer. The easiest way is to go into SAM > Printers and Plotters > LP Spooler > Printers and Plotters > Actions > Add Remoter Printer and supply the local name of the queue, the remoter server name, and the name of the printer on the remote server.

Pete

Pete
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

First examine the printer's documentation to see if it supports HP JetDirect protocol (it may be called tcp port 9100); if so, install the JetDirect software on your HP-UX box and add the printer interactively using the hppi command or using addqueue from the command line. This type of connection is referred to as a "Network" printer and is the greatly preferred method.
Otherwise, you will use the LPR/LPD protocol and that is referred to as a "Remote" printer in HP-UX speak. You can add remote printers via SAM or via the lpadmin command. Remote printers will need a hostname (mapping to the printer's IP address) and a "printer" or "queue" name. For example, you might setup two logical Remote printers on the host "Canonmfp". The queuenames might be TEXT and BINARY --- again, consult your printer's documentation.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.