1758400 Members
2700 Online
108869 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with boot up on server

Steve Bradman

Problem with boot up on server

Hi,
Firstly I will apologise for the length of this post, however I believe all the info is relevant.

I have a problem with boot up on a HP-UX server. Unfortunately due to a loss of some oracle data on a different server I was forced to carry out a restore onto a spare server that was available. In order to get Oracle up and running on the server I was forced to restore rather more than I wanted to from the backup from the other server.

First I used the following command ( fbackup ├в vf /dev/rmt/0m ├в i/dev ├в i/etc ├в i/stand ) to back up these directories to tape.

Next from the backup tape from the server I needed to recover the missing Oracle data from I used

frecover ├в xof /dev/rmt/0m -e/dev/ -e/etc/checklist ├в e/etc/fstab ├в e/etc/inittab ├в e/etc/lvmtab ├в e/stand/system ├в e/etc/ioconfig ├в e/etc/mnttab ├в e/etc/utmp ├в e/stand/ioconfig ├в e/stand/vmunix ├в e/var/adm/ps_data 2>&1 | /bin/tee ├в a /tmp/viv

I was then able to get the Oracle database up and running and recover the data.
After changing the network settings and the /etc/hosts file a reboot was naively performed. On reboot the server failed to boot properly hanging at the line
START SNMP MIB-2 Network Management SubAgent.

I've attached the full boot up listing and it can also be found in a document at
http://www.aersupport.com/files/

I can boot up into single user mode and then by moving awk from /sbin/awk to /sbin/awk.bak ( don't ask how I figured out to do this! ) I can change to run level 2 and the system reboots but I don't have access to networking. I have an Ignite backup of the old system but have no familiarity in using it. I realise there may be a lot to sort out this server. The main advice I'm looking for is where to start, i.e. should I reinstall from scratch, try to restore files from the backup made of /etc /stand and /dev or should I try and rebuild from the Ignite backup. Ideally I'd like to keep the server with the software it has installed ( Oracle + an application ) as this software needs to be installed ultimately on this server.
I've been pulling my hair out with this for a few days now so any support would be appreciated. Please let me know if you need me to supply any additional information.
Thanks and regards

2 REPLIES 2
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with boot up on server

Steve,
the way I would lokk at at this is:
1. You have a working server i.e your recovery worked
2. Address each problem individually

So can you live without the Ntw. Mngt. Sub agent running? If yes, comment it out. If not, are there any messages in /etc/rc.log. How long is the hang i.e. does the system eventually continue?
DCE
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with boot up on server

Well, you have a working server - sort of. I do not believe this system is very stable, and patching could be quite an adventure.

If you have a godd Ignite backup, I would do an interactive restore from the tape. that way you can customize it, and have a stable that is stable.

DCE