108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems w/ Ignite-UX (gzip)

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott vick
Advisor

Problems w/ Ignite-UX (gzip)

I currently have a number of servers running 11.x and have just upgraded Ignite-UX to 2.5. On all of my servers I have been able to create a make_net_recovery archive of the server except one. When I attempt to make a recovery archive it fails and writes a message to the logfile saying:
ERROR: The gzip command failed (exit status 1)

However gzip workes fine when I execute it from the command line on a file.
Anybody have an idea how to fix this. I have attempted to remove and re-install Ignite on both the client and the server and it did not fix the problem.
Too ugly to live, too weird to die, too stupid to know the difference.
9 REPLIES 9
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems w/ Ignite-UX (gzip)

Can't find anything about this problem. Is there anything else in the logfile that could be useful?

Exit 1 from gzip is 'error' and could be caused by all sorts of things. It's strange that you only get it on one server though, could it be a space problem? Are there any related errors in syslog?
scott vick
Advisor

No, that is the only error message in the logfile. Also there is no issue w/ space.
Glenn S. Davidson
Trusted Contributor

try running '/opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image -d -s local -l 1' and see if this works. it will create a gzipped tar file of the system eliminating the network portion. One thing I've noticed is that you can't always rely on the PATH being set. This may sound hoaky but give it a shot.
Conformity Destroys a mans initiative and independence. It supresses his powerful inner drive to do his own thing.
scott vick
Advisor

OK folks, here is a slightly different message:
gzip: stdout: file too large

Is there a limitation on the size of a file that can be gzipped?
Lasse Knudsen
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

You are over the 2Gb file size limit. Does your filesystem support 'largefiles' (the largefile option of newfs) ?
In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Bruce Regittko

Hi,

There was a thread awhile back about gzip and large files. If memory serves, version 1.2.4 does not handle large (>2GB) files but version 1.2.4a does. You can find you gzip version by entering

gzip -help

Bruce
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If I remember correctly (I am not at work now, so I can't check) even when you check the version of gzip on 1.2.4a it only shows 1.2.4. The thing to do is download 1.2.4a and install it. It comes as a depot so once you install it you will be able to do an swlist and see that it is version 1.2.4a.

One thing to be sure to do after the new version is installed is to create a link from the old location of gzip to the new location. The depot installs in a different area, so linking the old to the new keeps you from using two differnet versions of gzip.

scott vick
Advisor

Thanx to everyone who helped out. I did turn out to be a combination of the gzip v.1.2.4 needing the 1.2.4a and the filesystem Ignite was writing to needing to be set for largefiles. I have assigned points accordingly.