2784 Online
108893 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reduce frecover time

accent
Frequent Advisor

Reduce frecover time

Hi.
I would like to know it's posible reduce the time necessary to restore one fbackup using frecover. I need 10 hours to restore one DLT 8000 using frecover. During the backup, I spend only 4 hours but the time necessary to restore was 10 hours. Can I change any parameters in the config file?.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

What is the exact command you execute (with all the options)?

Best Regards,

Eric
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
accent
Frequent Advisor

The comand is:

/usr/sbin/frecover -xv -g $FILE_BACKUP -f /dev/rmt/1m

The FILE_BACKUP is like:

i /home/tintin
i /home/fondos
i /apls
i /db_tintinbd/oradata/dat
i /db_tintinbd/oradata/his

Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

There is not a lot you can do . Was it a full recover . Of how much

Try using the
-N (no recovery) Prevent frecover from actually recovering any files onto disk, but read the backup as if it was, in fact, recovering the data from the backup, producing the same output that it would on a normal recovery. This option is useful for verifying backup media contents in terms of validity (block checksum errors are reported), and contents (a listing of files can be produced by using the -N and -v options together). Note that the listing of files produced with the -N and -v options requires the reading of the entire backup, but is therefore a more accurate reflection of the backup's contents than the index stored at the beginning of the backup (which was created at the start of the backup session, and is not changed during the course of the backup).

If the speed is good with -N then you have a disk bottleneck

Also try adding -v to see any status messages

Lastly make sure you have latest patch

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi,

From my experience it is almost always faster to recover all the content of tape and, after that, moving the needed files to the proper locations. This happens because the system have no need to search for the specific files and since fbackup does sequential writes to the tape, searches are really slow...

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
accent
Frequent Advisor

To make the fbackup I used the following config file:

blocksperrecord 512
records 64
checkpointfreq 128
readerprocesses 6
maxretries 5
retrylimit 5000000
maxvoluses 100
filesperfsm 500
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

frecover for a single file should take just a FEW minutes (2 to 10 mins). HOWEVER, if you run fbackup over a network so there is no 'real' connection to the tape drive, you destroy the ability to write search marks. Same story if you pipe the output from fbackup into a file or otherwise run the tape drive somewhere other than the source computer. Another possibility is that your fbackup is badly out of date and doesn't recognize the model number of the DLT.

Setmarks are critical to frecvoer's very frast restore capability but fbackup must know what tape drive is being used. Setmarks are disabled when the tape drive is not known to fbackup or is not physicallty connected to the local system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin