3285 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion

Remote print from SuSE to HP-UX printer

Robert Milne
Frequent Advisor

Remote print from SuSE to HP-UX printer

Hi there,
I am trying to remote print from a SuSE linux server to a HP-UX 11i server's existing print queue.

print queue name on HP-UX: inlabel
HP-UX server name: krone
print command from SuSE: lp -d inlabel -h krone test.txt
Resulting error: lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

Error message is the same no matter what existing print queue on the HP-UX server is referenced.

Both server's can ping each other via their respective host names.

Entry on HP-UX server for the following,
Hosts file:
146.71.167.50 aus09qad-erp01
(This is the SUSE server)

hosts.equiv file:
aus09qad-erp01

/usr/adm/inetd.sec:
printer allow aus09qad-erp01

/etc/services:
printer 515/tcp spooler

/etc/inetd.conf file:
printer stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/rlpdaemon rlpdaemon -i

Can't think of any other entries requied, but obviously I am wrong somewhere...
About the only other thing that is interesting is when I look at running processes with ps -ef I cannot see the process for rlpdaemon. But as inetd is working I assume it must be running. I have also tried manual start by running /usr/lib/rlpdaemon and no error was produced by doing that, but still can't see the process? Should I be able to?

Is there something else I need to setup to enable remote lp printing the HP-UX servers print queues?

Thanks, Rob.
"For every pleasure there's a tax."
1 REPLY 1
Mark Ellzey
Valued Contributor

Re: Remote print from SuSE to HP-UX printer

Rob,

Have you set up the printer on the SUSE box via CUPS? I've never tried to print to a remote host via the -h switch.

In general, when setting up printers, I usually don't use a remote print server. I've done so in the past, but didn't like the hassle of maintaining a box as a printserver.

I usually just set the printers up as CUPS network printers. You can, using CUPS, set up remote printers but YMMV. If you have a bunch of boxes, perhaps samba would work better. I've just never had a reason to use samba as a printing mechenism.

Regards,
Mark