1767188 Members
3110 Online
108959 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Root password change inside container

Alexdc999
Frequent Visitor

Root password change inside container

I’ve inherited a HP UX 11.11 9000 system with with running containers. Root works fine on host UX, root doesn’t work inside the containers, su or sudo with what was thought the password brings up the account is disabled. The admin who managed this is no longer with the company so I have no to verify the password. I am not sure of the process to reset or enable this account inside the container, I have read the process of interrupting the boot process but I am not sure if this applies to containers. I have ILO access, SMH and local keyboard/ monitor access to the 9000. Any help or guidance on where to start would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Root password change inside container

Interrupting the boot on a container won't work and won't help in this case.

The easiest way to become root is via the 'srp_su' command from the container manager system.

For example, if you container system is name erpsys1 you would do the following from the container manager (while logged in as root):

# srp_su erpsys1 -

Once you are root in the container you can reactivate the root account and change the password.  Note that 'sam' does not work in a container so you will have to use modprpw to unlock the account. For example:

# /usr/lbin/modprpw -k root

Hope this helps.