1756441 Members
3862 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

rpc

kjell Svensson

rpc

I have not full rpc procudure in my machine hpux 11i so therefor can??t I connect this machine widt remote from another machine I want to run remote backup from another hpux machine so my questen is can I add these rpc.xxx program to my existing hpux machine and how do I this
4 REPLIES 4
Sajid_1
Honored Contributor

Re: rpc

hello,

I assume that you are talking about adding an 'rpc' program for doing a remote backup:
You don't have to manually add any rpc services to do this. Instead, it depends on the backup software you are going to use (OB, Veritas, fbackup, legato etc). When you install and configure these backup softwares, it will add whatever rpc services needed. For getting a current configured/running rpc programs:
# rpcinfo -p
learn unix ..
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

As Sajid mentions, *which* backup software are you using?

I.e. different backup programs use different methods for communication over the network, so your question about rpc.xxx programs might be irrelevant for the backup software you use.
kjell Svensson

I use remote backup as is inclouded in SAM wich is recived with HPUX 11i install CD.
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

SAM uses fbackup, also for remote backup.

fbackup uses the rcmd(3N) facility for remote backup, i.e. not the rpc.xxx daemons.

For fbackup remote backup, *first* get remsh(1) to work.

I.e. on the remote system, the one with the tape drive, create/edit ~root/.rhosts to contain the name of the local/client system, i.e. the system which is going to run fbackup.

Then on the local/client system do (as root):

# remsh remote_system date

That should *not* ask for a password and should display the date/time. If not, you have made an error and you must first fix that.

If the remsh command works, SAM/fbackup remote backup should also work.

For details, see the fbackup(1M) manual page, especially the description of "machine:device" under the "-f device" option and the references to /usr/sbin/rmt, /etc/rmt and rmt(1M).