3276 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server Performance

Shehan
Super Advisor

Server Performance

Hi

We have rp4440 server running hp-ux 11i v1. Server spec as below.

2 CPU (dual core)
32 GB memory
Oracle 10g is running heavily.
Two storages are connected through fiber(EVA8K and EVA3K)
OS is patched up to last December 2007

We are getting some performance sometime. Anyway how can we find swap-out/In details in order to check swap usage. In additiona to that how we can find the read/write hits to the disk groups.

Appreciate your kindly response.

Regards
Niru
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Server Performance

Niru,

Don't woory too much about swap utilisation first. First thing would be to look at page-ins/pahe-outs:

vmstat 2 10

pay attention to the po column - if you see page-outs then you are under memory pressure.

for disk use sar:

sar -d 2 10

look at the avque and avserv column - if avque is over 2 and avserv over 20 you may have an IO problem.

Post some output here.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Hi. I would suggest you to install Glance software

https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpms/display/main/hpms_content.jsp?zn=bto&cp=1-11-15-28^9637_4000_100__
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi Niru,

Since you are already on Oracle 10g, you can start your Oracle Enterprise Manager Database control and be able to monitor your server resources more effectively.

In case, you are fearing any abnormally high utilisation of any of the resources by the Oracle database, the Performance section of OEM will be able to give you a global picture on Instance I/O, Instance Throughput, Average Active Session and Host runnable processes over an interval of time.

kind regards,
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Duncan

I have attached some "sar" output. Please go though it and let me know any bottleneck is there.

regards
Niru
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi Yogeeraj

We are not handling Oracle. Another Vender is responsible for maintaining Oracle. Anyway I will discuss with the Oracle vender about this.

Regards
Niru

Niru,

Were these stats gathered when you were actually having a performance issue?

Cos I see nothing concerning in any of them. CPU util is quite high, but never actually seems to be a significant bottleneck.

Disk IO seems OK, and memory usage as well... what is the (percieved) problem with performance?

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Shehan
Super Advisor

Hi

When I am taking this there was some level of performance issue. In addition to that , I attached another output when they are running query in the server and also felt some performance degardtion. Please go though it and let me know status.

Regards
Niru

Niru,

Nope, there's nothing in there that raises too many alarm bells - again CPU util is quite high and does top out at 100% on 1 CPU for a short period of time - however looking at the mix of user vs. system CPU time, it looks like all the time is spent in user space (presumably in Oracle somewhere), so I'd be looking at the application and Oracle team to 'prove' there is a system level problem before doing any more work.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Couple thoughts.......

1. Your parm ninode is too high. Reduce to around 4096 [See your sar -v output and you will see what I mean]
2. Since ninode is high, I'll guess that vx_ninode is set to "0". If it is, then the system will auto create a huge table based on your physical memory, which becomes a waste of memory. Try setting it around 20m to 40m, and monitor for any tweeking you might need to do.
3. Swapdisk - I don't see you have any set up from your output. Set up a couple disks for swap and enable them. I'd set up my swap lvols to 4Gb each based on the output you supplied.

NEXT:
> What is your dbc_max & dbc_min% parm ?
> What are your semm* parms set at?
Run command sar -mS 1 20 and compare the output with your semm* parms setting. Are they sufficient to cover your needs? If yes, good - if not, adjust.

That's just some thoughts I had.

Rgrds,
Rita