108826 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Service guard between N/K/L class servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Krishnan Viswanathan
Frequent Advisor

Service guard between N/K/L class servers

We want to add one N class node into a cluster which is having 2 K class and 2 L class servers.

Do you think it will be an issue here? Has anyone faced problems earlier ?

(I will be installing the same version of Service guard on the N class as well)
3 REPLIES 3
Craig Rants
Honored Contributor

Re: Service guard between N/K/L class servers

We have a cluster with 2 K's and a one N. There are not many issues that I know about.

GL,
C
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. " Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

You biggest issues will be SCSI buses. Note that the standard interface on the N and L boxes are LVD SCSI while all the external buses on a K-box are HVD SCSI. The two are not compatible. Make sure that you order FWD SCSI controllers for you N's and L's. Plan B would be to use Fibre on all boxes.

The other thing to be aware of is that because the K-box will not support as much memory, you will have to limit the packages in the amount memory allocation. For example, if this were an Oracle package running on a 32GB N-box, you might be tempted to run very large SGA values that would not run on a K-box with 4GB's of memory. In that case, you could have ORACLE_HOMES (and init.oras) that do not move with the package and thus tune the init.oras to fit the platform but it's very easy to forget to update all copies of the separate init.ora's.

Regards, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Krishnan Viswanathan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, we have fiber cards connected to the disk array. We do not have SCSCI cards.

We have same amount of memory across L and N class. Als we have oracle as a product installed across on the local disks. Only the rellevant instances move across the systems and all use the oracle products installed on the local disks.
Thanks