108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Service Guard does not detect lan problem

Klaus Bauer
Occasional Advisor

Service Guard does not detect lan problem

Hi,

i had the following problem:
it was not possible to send any IP-Data over the primary lan and service guard did not switch on the stand by lan. In the switch logfile was the message "link down" (for the primary lan) but for service guard everything was fine, so ther was no lanswitch.
Any ideas why service guard did not detect that the link was down?

thankx,
klaus
Unix rocks
6 REPLIES 6
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Service Guard does not detect lan problem

Hi Klaux,

Some months ago I had a similar problem, the cluster don't detect the lan problem, in my case the problem was in the fibre connector to the switch, and I must manually to put down the principal lan card in order to switch to the other lan card, our switch is a Cisco switch.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Christopher McCray_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Maybe a stupid question... but do you have it set up to monitor the subnet? Can you give the output of cmviewcl -v?

Hope this helps

Chris
It wasn't me!!!!
Klaus Bauer
Occasional Advisor

Hello Justo,

i have also a Cisco Switch, but I am quite sure that the hardware is ok, because when i disabled the port on the cisco switch service guard switched immediately from lan1 (primary lan) to lan2 and after that i enabled the port for lan1 again and service guard switched back to lan1 and the server runs on lan1 since 3 weeks without any trouble.

Chris, the cluster configuration is as it should be, at least HP-Support told this to me.

later,
klaus
Unix rocks
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Klaus,

Thanks to you for your 0pts to all in this link, I have a lot of time to help you and my effort and my time it's not important at all.

You open the same issue again:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xf493107d277ad611abdb0090277a778c,00.html
And you assign 0pts to all the people that try to help you, or try to tell you his experience.

You are welcome.

See this link in order to know how to use the forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x022718276953d61190040090279cd0f9,00.html

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Hello Klaus,

ServiceGuard does not test the LAN cards at the IP layer (layer 3) of the ISO stack. It tests at the link-level layer (layer 2).

Regardless of whether the LAN NIC is configured properly to send/receive IP traffic, it it is physically attached to the network, and able to perform link-level tests, SG is happy with the NIC and won't "down" it.
That is why doing an "ifconfig lanX down" fails to trigger a standby LAN failover.

-s.
Klaus Bauer
Occasional Advisor

Hi Stephen,

thankx for your hint, but i am quite sure that i had a problem on link-level layer 2 because the Cisco switch detected link down. The big question is why recognized the switch link down but the lan driver did not?

regards,
klaus
Unix rocks