3281 Online
108898 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting up CIFS/Samba

Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting up CIFS/Samba

Juan,

You will have to create a username map file.

# vi /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf
username map = /etc/opt/samba/smbusers.map
#

# vi /etc/opt/samba/smbusers.map
unixusername
#

Makesure the unix username you mention in the file has approritate permissions to the share you are exporting.

# stopsmb
# startsmb

- Sundar

Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?
Juan Ocasio
Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I made the changes, but I'm still running into the same problems. I am confident it's an issue of configs, but I'm not sure which ones. Given the following info, can someone direct me in the right direction:

Domain Name: HSNHOME
WIN Server: 192.168.101.2
File system to share: /opt/main/test
UNIX Username: juan
Win 2000 Username juanocasio
Win 2000 Password: juan123

I believe these are all of the pieces needed to make this work, but I'm not too sure where to configure the info. If I missed something, please add it to the list and direct me as to how to implement the param.

Again, many thanks for the help so far!

Juan
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Juan

I think the guys provided a very good support!!!
However, I am assuming that you run the smb_setup to make the SAMBA server a PDC Server?
You'll need to create the same account on both the UNIX box as well as the Windows NT box.
Windows NT account: juan

Unix account: juan

Then run the smbpasswd -a juan

Click on the share from the Windows and when you get the Logon Window, enter the above values.

Hope this help
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Juan Ocasio
Advisor

Latif:

I couldn't agree with you more. I have received very good advice on how to get Samba up and running. My Samba Server is not the PDC. I have SBS 2000 (which is the only DC). The Samba Server is really a stand alone server that supports one of our applications. In fact, this is the only reason we have the HP UX box. If I add an account juan to this server and run smbpasswd, how will it be affected when I have to change the password for the user (I change it every 45 days). will I have to run smbpasswd everytime it changes for the network?

Thanks

Juan