Operating System - HP-UX
1758342 Members
2344 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP bringing up ISDN lines

Rob Bailey_1

SNMP bringing up ISDN lines

We have printers at sites all over the country and are printed to over IP.

Trouble is, certain low use sites are connected by ISDN routing.

We have found out we have been keeping ISDN lines up by the SNMP traffic from the HP Box checking the printers are up.

Can I

i) Change the interval of SNMP requests?
ii) disable it for certain printers

Any othjer suggestions? ( I know - Fax - but we need to use multi-part stationary )

We are on HP-UX 11.0
6 REPLIES 6
U.SivaKumar_2
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP bringing up ISDN lines

hi,
i don't believe that UDP traffic from SNMP
will activate the ISDN link. are you sure ?.
try disabling SNMP on the serial interfaces
( WAN interfaces ).

regards,
U.SivaKumar
Innovations are made when conventions are broken
Rob Bailey_1

I think I should be clearer - the ISDN links are hanging off the network, not the HPUX box.

The ISDN connection to the remote sites doesnt just handle printer traffic.

Apologies if I'm missing the point.

So the network routers are bringing up the link because the SNMP traffic passes over them.

If the router blocks the SNMP traffic then the printer gets marked as offline/disabled.

Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

i) Change the interval of SNMP requests?
Sure.

ii) disable it for certain printers
Sure.

Both "sides" are configurable. The poll interval is configurable; the amount of time an ISDN line stays up based on traffic flow is configurable; the type of traffic that causes the ISDN line to connect (and stay connected) is configurable.

>Other suggestions
If you're trying not to leave the ISDN lines nailed up (often the case if the ISDN lines are tolled by the minute), you're in a bad position, because you won't be able to poll without bringing the ISDN interface up. If the lines aren't tolled by the minute, just leave the lines up (it's not a problem from a technical perspective.

You could build a local spool that tries to run on a remote printer and quit polling. If the remote printer isn't available, the job stays in the local queue.

Rob Bailey_1

I'd like to turn off polling for certain printers - but I cant find *how* to do it.

Please point me in the right direction.
U.SivaKumar_2
Honored Contributor

hi ,
if you use HP-UX for monitoring the printers
then have a look at /etc/snmpd.conf

regards,
U.SivaKumar
Innovations are made when conventions are broken
Adam Moody_1
Trusted Contributor

It's simple everyone - you need to setup an access list to deny SNMP (NOT ICMP!) for the NNM station from being interesting traffic on the router. It's the configuration polling netmon does that causes the lines to be brought up - netmon.noDiscover is a silly option because it prevents you from polling the interface say every 2 weeks/months/years etc. At least if you have the access list you can poll. You'll also be able to ping the interface in the event of problems.

This is the only solution - NNM patches, fixes and workarounds defeats the purpose of having NNM in the first place...

Cheers
Adam