Operating System - HP-UX
1754319 Members
3129 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ssh login works okay, but not telnet. Any ideas?

Bret Goodfellow_1
Occasional Advisor

ssh login works okay, but not telnet. Any ideas?

I have successfully set up SSH to force logins using Kerberos, and authenticate to our AD server. My problem is that I cannot use TELNET to connect to the same server. Below is what happens:

WARNING! AUTHORIZED USE PROHIBITED!

Login: con1
Password: *******
System Password: *******

Connection to host lost.

C:\users\con1

The /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log has the following entries:

serverX inetd[17176] telnet/tcp: Connection from serverX (10.x.x.x) at Wed May 18 13:26.24 2011
serverX login: [Key table entry not found] Unable to verify host ticket
serverX login: [Key table entry not found] can't verify v5 ticket: ; keytab found, assuming failure
serverX login: while verifying tgt [Unknown code _____255]
serverX login: [Authentication failed] Password not valid

Any thoughts, ideas????
12 REPLIES 12
Bret Goodfellow_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: ssh login works okay, but not telnet. Any ideas?

Let me clarify some of the above.

1) my host system is an HP-UX 11.31 system
2) clients can run SSH to the HP-UX system using AD authentication (Kerberos)
3) Clients cannot run telnet successfully to the same HP-UX system. Authentication fails.
vz7r1x
Regular Advisor

Hi!
Check /etc/inetd.conf & /etc/services files.

services file has port numbers assigned to the services / processes.

inetd.conf has port number assigned to the service.

Service or port# may be blocked in one of those files. you can uncomment it and run "inetd -c" to refresh it.

Thanks
Bret Goodfellow_1
Occasional Advisor

I checked both of those files, and the telnet statements were already in place. I'm showing the statements below:

/etc/inetd.conf

telnet stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd telnetd -b /etc/issue

/etc/services

telnet 23/tcp # Virtual Terminal Protocol

The Telnet sessions is starting (not being rejected). The problem is during authentication. The password is not accepted. See description at beginning of this thread.

Thanks.
Bret Goodfellow_1
Occasional Advisor

One other thing I should clarify is: root can login and authenticate without error using TELNET. No problems logging in with root. All other userids fail.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Not an expert on this but I bet your ssh login via AD authentication has something to do with PAM and the same mechanism, lacks telnet authentication. I don't know the mechanics of how to set this up but authentication via anything other than the local passwd/shadow file, requires using PAM (pluged authentication module) at some capacity. Of course, root is above all security measures on a normal UNIX system, so it does not get stuck because of this.

On a side note, instead of being worried be happy that you have the added benefit of preventing eternal users from using an unsecure protocol like telnet. This is my opinion but I am sure it is shared by many here.

Yes, I am sure this is a PAM issue. I've spent quite a bit of time getting SSH to authenticate using Kerberos. Configuration of PAM is definitely required. For reasons I won't go into, my customer requires telnet. So, I'm sure there is a PAM issue with telnet, but not sure what?

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Again, not a PAM expert or anything close to it but are you sure in your /etc/pam.conf file, the lines starting with login (which telnet uses to authenticate) are NOT commented out ?

Yes, they are uncommented.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Okay, I think I found the document I had seen quite a while ago:

http://docstore.mik.ua/manuals/hp-ux/en/5992-3387/ch02s03.html

About 3/4 of the way down on this page, look for a title in BOLD letters, saying

"Examples: How PAM Works for Login"

It gives the importance of ordering the different login methods with if's and whys in the examples. Since you sound like, having a very decent UNIX admin background, I am sure, with the help of this document, you can figure it out or find out what you are missing (may be a shared object ?? *.so or link to it ??)

Good luck.