1758822 Members
2806 Online
108875 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tar or Dump/Restore?

Doug Brinkman - DRI CMA
Occasional Advisor

Tar or Dump/Restore?

We have about 250 GB of Oracle/SAP data in filesystems that needs to be moved from a dev server to production. Due to logistics, we need to copy the data to tape to accomplish this.

Which method would you use to do this, Dump/Restore or tar?

Thanks,
Ed
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Tar or Dump/Restore?

First of all, if you have any single file that exceeds 8GiB (or 2GB, unpatched) tar cannot handle the job. In HP-UX land, the utility of choice (and it's performance is quite good) is fbackup/frecover. Man fbackup/frecover for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

For small data you can use tar.

For large data like this, you should use fbackup/frecover (At least, that is what I would use).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Fabian Brise├▒o
Esteemed Contributor

A. clay and ivan are correct tar only holds 8gb of info, trust me I know this by experience

and i agree with ivan fbackup is the best way to go on this
Knowledge is power.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

I would prefer fbackup over both of them as long we're talking about HP-UX at both ends.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Doug Brinkman - DRI CMA
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys. I forgot one small but important detail: The OS is Linux. I wish it had a nice native utility like fbackup, but no.

I'll have to check on the max file size thing, that will definately determine how this goes.

Thanks again,
Ed
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

GNU tar is a good choice. Lots of options available to alert you to potential problems.

dump/restore would next choice