1758657 Members
2304 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: telnetd error message in syslog

Todd Lehr
Frequent Advisor

telnetd error message in syslog

Can anyone point me towards possible reasons the following messages appears in syslog

telnetd[27542]: Error checking child termination status: error 4: Interrupted system call

thanks
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Enable inetd error logging by giving "inetd -l" and see the further error messages. But the syslog file will be increasing rapidly.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Todd Lehr
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info .. inet is already running with the -l options.

Note that this machine is running HP-UX 10.01 and hasn't been patched in a while. Harry you link was most helpful however I am curious how much is applicable to 10.01 as opposed to 10.20

Thanks
Todd Lehr
Frequent Advisor

one other piece of information: I am tracking this problem because of a rash of runaway processes on our servers.

I.E.

telnetd parent to pgm A parent to pgm b

it appears that the syslog message corresponds to the telnet and pgm A processes exiting and leaving pgm b running away with a PPID of 1

Berlene Herren
Honored Contributor

What OS? Try zeroing out your /etc/utmpx file, depending on the OS, telnetd maybe corrupting it. For 11.i, see PHNE_24829 (Incorrect records might be written into /etc/utmpx by telnetd when it exits).

Berlene

Berlene
http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm
Todd Lehr
Frequent Advisor

We have discovered that this message is caused by users terminating their telnet sessions which then causes our application to runaway.

Thanks for everyones help