1755238 Members
4881 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Terminal output all in CAPS

Ewan McDonald_2
Occasional Contributor

Terminal output all in CAPS

I experienced a problem this morning while on a customer site...
When logging onto the customers machine(K470)with an HP 700 series terminal, the text seemed to change from normal to CAPS after logging in. When logging on as root this didn't happen, it only happened when logging on as a user. Once the CAPS were on, they would stay on, even when trying to log back in as root. The only way I found to resolve this issue was rebooting the server. To try to resolve the problem, I have tried all the terminal settings I can think of I.E. making sure terminal was set to HP, and UK/English using the terminal config(F8). I made sure the /env file was set to TERM=hp. I tied setting the terminal to default(holding in d while turning the terminal on) and resetting te terminal (Shift, ctrl, break). None of these changed the problem. Has anyone seen his before, and can you give me a resolve which doesn't involve rebooting the machine?

Thanks,

Ewan
5 REPLIES 5
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Re: Terminal output all in CAPS

When you logged in, did you use an uppercase user name?
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Terminal setting of olcuc may be turned on as,

# stty olcuc
# CLEAR
# LS
# STTY -OLCUC
# ls

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Ewan McDonald_2
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the username is in uppercase...

The example you have given with "olcuc" - < Is this an example username or a command?
Say for example, my username is A123YYY.

Should I type:
# stty A123YYY
# CLEAR
# LS
# STTY -A123YYY
# ls

or

# stty olcuc
# CLEAR
# LS
# STTY -OLCUC
# ls

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Ewan,

The "olcuc" is a stty setting:

$ stty olcuc
$ KKKKKKK
KSH: KKKKKKK: NOT FOUND
$ STTY -OLCUC
$ kkkkkk
ksh: kkkkkk: not found
$

Setting "stty olcuc" causes all your terminal i/o to be in upper case. Turning it off with "-olcuc" cures it.

Pete

Pete
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

Ewan,

I thought it might be. I've heard of this before where you log in with an uppercase user name. Due to legacy code, the login assumes if you type in a user name in uppercase, that you don't have a mixed case keyboard and sets your terminal to all uppercase. I think it harks back to the days of teletypes.