3014 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Time estimates for ServiceGuard/oracle installation

Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Time estimates for ServiceGuard/oracle installation

Hi all,

We need to plan a ServiceGuard installation on a 2 nodes cluster with one Oracle Instance.
I have no idea of the time needed to configure it - for a ServiceGard expert, of course, not me ;-)
What's the additional time needed for a second instance?

I'm convinced that you could give me install time figures for the same with SAP. That would be great !!

Thanks a lot in advance,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
8 REPLIES 8
MARTINACHE
Respected Contributor

Re: Time estimates for ServiceGuard/oracle installation

Hi Dan,

First of all, I need more info :

- Is there only an oracle database or are there some applications ?

- Does the second Node sleep and wait for a crash or not ?

- What kind of backups do you need ?

- How many Lan card do you have and what kind of data do they support ?

Patrice.
Patrice MARTINACHE
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Patrice,

The first cluster will be dedicated to Oracle with one or 2 instances.

It hasn't been decided yet if the second node will be sleeping or not.

Client uses plain cold (offline) Oracle backups as timeframe still allows database shutdown/restart.

Systems are connected to EMC disk array through Connectrix SAN. 2 or 3 Tachyon cards per server.

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
MARTINACHE
Respected Contributor

1) Packages

First, you have to describe your packages.

You will certainly have a package for oracle database but perharps others.

1 package means : 1 IP address, 1 or more Vgs.

The most difficult is not the installation but the start, stop, monitoring script writing.

2) SG Oracle Toolkit

I don't suggest you to use this toolkit.
monitoring script will only do a "ps" of oracle processes.
I prefere an sqlplus XXX/YYY@ZZZ which is a real test.

If all the scripts are prepared before install, this will take only 1 day or 2 days.

If you have specific questions, I'm ready.

Regards,

Patrice.
Patrice MARTINACHE
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

Dan, as a reference point, HP services will typically require 2 weeks (and a lot of moola) for setting up one SAP CI with Oracle. Personally, I would not commit to less than one calendar month.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
Ajay Sishodia
Frequent Advisor

My guess would be a week at the most even if you do it :)
Creating a two node cluster shouldn't take more than 3-4 hrs for an expert. The oracle package will take like another day with the HP's oracle toolkit, including the instance creation and all that.

Ajay
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Before instalation you need to draw all hardware ( disk, disk connection, networks..), software (SG, mirror-ux, oracle...) and configurations ( networks, vgs, mirrors disks, ...) to get a full HA environment.

If this is your first S/G you will like to do lots of tests to understand S/G and to check that your configuration falls/raise packet(s) correctly.

I use to take at less 3 weeks to put it into production.
unsupported
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,
Congrats, really well done, it was well deserved... lots of things evolved while off ill...
I will soon be facing my first service-guard installation (5 march), but it will be done with HP, they have planned 5 days for the installation of the 2 machines (L2000)+ 2 brocades switches to the HDS9960 (XP512 - Yes Stephan I made it...) with the testing...
And 5 days for the installation of Oracle App. and testing...
So it seems to take a good 2 weeks minimum...and if I start before you I will let you know how its going on if you wish...

All the best
Victor
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Victor,

Thanks a lot. I hope you're feeling better now.

You'll surely start your installation well before I will, so I'd really appreciate all your comments and recommendations. My email is part of my personal quote if you don't want to open a thread just to le me know. ;-)

I used to 'supervise' a ServiceGuard installation when I was working for Michelin (France). The installation was done by a small french company, that HP France was considering as partners.
That was 3 years ago and I didn't put my hands on a cluster since then.
One thing I remember is that the cluster installation on its own was quite straightforward, but when they started adding packages with Oracle and Oracle Financials it turned close to a nightmare... 8-(
At the end of the day, Michelin decided to abandon clustering... I don't know if they changed their mind since then. I sincerely wish you better luck.

That's the reason why I'd like to collect as many feedback, tips and techniques as possible.

Warmest regards,

Dan