3099 Online
108883 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Transfer files from Unix Server to PC

yanfeng Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Re: Transfer files from Unix Server to PC

Hi, Keely:

Yes, we use "WRQ Reflection" to connect to HP Unix. And I'm realy interested in your script solution. Please kindly show me your sample. My email address, yfzhou72@163.com.

Thanks & Regards,
Keely Jackson
Trusted Contributor

Hi

Script is attached.

You will need to ensure that the wrq/transfer program unxlink2 is installed on your server and that the script menu is in the menu bar. Both these are explained (I use that word advisedly) in the help. Once you have the script as you want it, just add a button to the toolbar.

If you need any help with any of the above, just let me know.

Cheers
Keely
Live long and prosper
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

What we do here and in the last place I worked, was to use CIFS 9000(Samba). It is free from HP and it makes your HP server look like a Window server on the LAN. Then your users only need to connect to it, or map a drive to it, like it is a Window server. Then they are back in familiar territory. I would think that this is much easier on you and the users than playing games with email etc. Also included with CIFS is SWAT, which is a web interface to completly setup and maintain CIFS.
Good luck.
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Let me give you another approach that requires no Refection and incorporates error checking as well. The error check and automatic retry is a far from easy task using other methods.

I would turn the problem around and create a shortcut on the PC to launch 'perl ftp.pl file1 file2 ...'. That will then login to the UNIX host, set for ASCII transfers, cd to /tmp, and then download file1, file2 ... .

You can get a free version of Perl for your
Windows platform from www.activeperl.com. You would then need to install the Net::FTP module which is available from www.cpan.org. If you ever start using the Net::FTP Perl module, I can just about guarantee that you will stop using any other method. The beauty of this approach is that it will work on UNIX, Windows, VMS, ... .

Here is the attached Perl script, ftp.pl.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Yanfeng -
We have similar cases.
User has windows machine and wants a file from some other machine, (NT, Unix, etc.).
To perform this, we set up an icon on their desk top which points to a bat file.
The bat file calls another file with the ftp parms in it, gets (or puts) a file and exits.

Here they are -
Bat file:

ftp -n -s:command.cmd

The above is the only line in the bat file; "command.cmd" is the file with the ftp commands.

Contents of command.cmd -

open 172.XX.X.X
user name password
ascii
get file_name.txt
quit
exit

In the above "name" is the user login name to unix and "password" is the unix password. The open statement may be an ip address or dns name.

This works fine for us, hope for you as well.

Regards,

dl
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
yanfeng Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Hi, All:

Thank you so much for your help! I'll try your solutions and I think I can find a best for me from them at the end.

So, thanks again to you all!

Best Regards,
Robert Sipe
Occasional Advisor

In Dos you should be able to ftp provided your pc is on the network. If you are using your pc for login services and have an email account go to your unix server and elm the file over.
None