New Discussion юеВ

Trouble loading CDE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Trouble loading CDE

Hello:

I have 2 C3750's that are right out of the box from HP pre-loaded with 11i. Both are giving me the same error with CDE and won't load the desktop upon boot-up. I am almost 100% positive the network settings are correct as I have a 10.2 system that is on the same network and I valdated the settings. When CDE attempts to load I get an error stating to check if CDE is installed properly, check the /etc/hosts file, or make sure the network
is configured properly. I have looked thru the rc.log (attached) file and I don't see anything wrong.

Any ideas?
Keep it Simple!~
8 REPLIES 8
Govinda_1
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Trouble loading CDE

hi,

check if the /etc/hosts file host entry is proper. and see if u r able to telnet the system. try nslookup also and see how the hostname resolution is happening

regards
Govind.

Paul_481
Respected Contributor

Hi Scott,

Check your /etc/hosts if the entries are correct and you have the loopback.

127.0.0.1 localhost loopback

What is the mesg at /var/dt/Xerrors ?

Regards,
Paul
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

# grep -i hostname /etc/rc.config.d/netconf

# nslookup above_hostname
# nslookup ip_hostname

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

With CDE, it's almost always a host name resolution issue. I would try running "/sbin/set_parms initial" to go through the initial config again, re-setting hostname, ip_address, default routing, etc - then retry.

Pete

Pete
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check
/var/dt/Xerrors
and
/var/X11/Xserver/logs/Xf86.log

Are mouse and keyboard already connected?

I had problems with my /etc/X11/config
but I added one more device (tablet).

Maybe monitor settings?

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Hey all:

Thanks for the reply's. It wound up being the hostname. The hostname my DNS team issued me was 10 char long. Once I shortened and rebooted, CDE loaded without a problem. Now to see if my DNS admin will issue me a new name.

The strange thing is set_parms hostname allowed me to set it to whatever I wanted. Does anyone know what the hostame length rules are for HPUX 11i?

-Thanks again!
Keep it Simple!~
Robert Bennett_3
Respected Contributor

Rules Regarding Hostnames
1. The maximum length of a hostname is 8 characters
2. Hostnames cannot have any punctuation characters in them (except for underscores). Hostnames are made up of characters (including underscores) and numbers only.
3. Hostnames are used for the sole purpose of making life easier for system users. Hostnames need to be converted by the system to their corresponding IP addresses before communications with the desired host can occur.
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

add on to Robert's answer. 8 characters is correct.

You can use longer names in DNS.

edit your /etc/hosts file

125.x.x.45 short longname

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf

hosts: files dns

Best regards,
Robert-Jan