1758556 Members
1709 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade 10.20 -> 11.00 problems.

John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade 10.20 -> 11.00 problems.

It's just that there were SO many changes from HPUX 10.20 to HPUX 11.O that you are really talking about 2 different beasts. (Hence the rev. change from HPUX 10 to HPUX 11) You had very good foresite in making a recovery image.

Now, why is it that you wanted to upgrade? If you can, you should think about moving all critical data to a volume group that can be exported, then cold install and import the volume. (Or like Paula said, "Cold Install then restore form tape.")

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Also

Do not worry about management and that you said you were doing the upgrade today.

They will respect you more if back out of the problem and then go for a fresh install of HP-UX 11.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

You seem to want to ignore the advise to do a cold install. Why? You are already experiencing headaches, and even if you do fix this one, there will probably be more errors. Even if, by chance, you do successfully upgrade, it will take many more hours than a cold install.

It took me from the beginning of September to tha end of January to upgrade 4 systems. Each system required multiple attempts as the system disk became unbootable during the upgrade process. The final successful upgrades took between 26 and 30 hours on the systems.

My advise would be to restore your system from backup, get all your system info: network, lvols, etc. Then do a cold install.

If you really insist on upgrading, restore system from backup, then do "swlist -l fileset -a state". All your fileset should be configured. If not, use swconfig or reinstall.
Make sure you have the latest consolidated patches installed, especially for LVM.

HTH
Marty
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

Jeremy,

About three years ago we ( ASE and myself ) performed two successfull upgrades from 10.20 to 11.00 on K460 and D320 servers (sounds like a miracle now). We did a lot of planning and I attach our action plan. If you go this direction, hope you find it useful.

Elena.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

The problem in your upgrade could also happend
because you upgrate to 11.00/64bit and the 10.20 is 32bit, i also once try and couldn't succede so the best is full install from beginning and the to take from backup all the data that you need.

Always problems with upgrate in hpux.

Caesar