Operating System - HP-UX
1754398 Members
2958 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

using ignite to duplicate a D220 to a K220 ?

MARREEL Chris_1
Regular Advisor

using ignite to duplicate a D220 to a K220 ?

Hello,

Can I use ignite to setup my K220 identical to our D220-machine ?

The D220 is (still) running HP-UX 10.20 and has an additional 100BaseT network-card.
In te K220 there is allso an additional network-card but as far as I remember they are NOT te same.
Can this be a problem ?

Thanks,
Chris MARREEL
5 REPLIES 5
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Re: using ignite to duplicate a D220 to a K220 ?

Hi Chris,

Yes you can use it, but when you boot from your tape you must stop the botting in order to make the necesary hardware changes and configuration changes.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
There is only one way to know..., if you were on mirrored system disks, then un-mirror and try, I went through nealy the same situation in december, a D270 broke its 2nd system disk (mirrored) I only was informed it would not reboot anymore, got on the site found a D220 (hpux10.20)with same disks, unmirrored it to remove it and lend it to the D270, Icould use it because I needed a 11.00 and had no os cds with me and the ignite tapes on THAT box had been moved I dont know where...
I made a tape from a D220 in hpux11.00 but failed on some drivers, I tried from a K360 and that did the trick...

Good luck

Victor
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Chris,
The D220 misses the ccio and mux2 driver that are crucial for the K-Class systems.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Chris,

You'll probably be better off building the K from scratch, with the latest media for 10.20. It will insure you have a "clean" system. It appears to be more work, but igniting the system from a D could fail and just set you back a few hours. And like Patrick said, there are drivers needed for the K that the D doesn't use.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The rule for making Ignite tapes that can cross hardware models is:

Add all drivers necessary for the target machine to your current box (evehn though they are needed in the current box). Then load any subsystems that are needed on the target box (array software, fibre channel tools, etc). Once everything has been loaded (patches included), then make a new kernel, reboot and if all is well, use make_tape_recovery and the result should be a usable tape on the target.

Or you can build the target with a cold install (which is probably a lot easier and faster.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin