1758608 Members
3043 Online
108873 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What names to you give your servers?

Tracey
Trusted Contributor

What names to you give your servers?

I'm tired of naming my machines incomprehensible combinations of letters and numbers, or naming them their "function" when those functions change all the time. I'm thinking of naming my new machines after characters in the ledgend of King Arthur. For example, I think I will call my development machine "Merlin" since they always want us to perform some sort of magic with our source code!

What sort of interesting names to you call your servers?
73 REPLIES 73
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: What names to you give your servers?

Hi there.
Why reinvent the wheel ?
dvlp01 to dvlp99 for development
prod01 for production

or :

hp + short for location and ##
sun .....

rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi

i names all my new computer with the names
of the heroes from the lord of the rings

my preerred is bilbo .

nice one no ?
love computers
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

South Park characters.

ike
timmy
cartman

etc.
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Well we have gone though machine naming here.
At firt were were doing Mtholgy gods.
IE hercules,athena,apollo, my favorite
Hermes for the mail server. Then we went a more tradational route. lvapp01 being
location service number. When we changed we all got confused because we did it soo fast and so quick. My big suggestion here is find something you like and stick with it. It is a nightmare relearning names for boxes.

Richard
Tracey
Trusted Contributor

Alex,

Why reinvent the wheel? Hp1 hp2 is similar to what I have now, it is boring! Also have you ever associated an ip address of .9 to a machine called hp2 - kind of confusing too!

But if it works for you, great!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There really is not set rule for naming machines. It is whatever you want the machine name to be. If it is descriptive, that's fine, if not, that's OK too.

The company I currently work for uses interesting names, but if you think about, they also tell of the function of the machine. For example:

our mail server is clavin -- named after Cliff Claving, the postman in Cheers
our home directory server is cabana -- a form of a dwelling
our accounting machine is scrooge -- after either Scrooge McDuck (cartoons) or the Dickens character Scrooge, both misers with money.

I could go on, but you get the idea. At my previous job, I named all the machines with various Star Trek names.

It doesn't really matter. I like to have fun with them, why be boring?!
someone_4
Honored Contributor

Hey Patrick ..
I like that for a mailserver clavin ,
Even Newman would be good too.

Richard
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

We use a mixture, depending on the location of the maching, as such
SS#TY$$$

SS= City
# = 0 for servers 1 for clients
TY = type of maching
su=sun, hp=hp, ib=ibm, sg=sgi, nt=windblows
In some instances the TY can be used more definitively, I.E. or=oracle, fe=compute server, etc...
$$$=last 3 of the IP
I'd say that once a format is defined, then stick with it. I have had to work at sites who had hosts like "mickey, goofy, merlin, daffy, etc..." WHile kind of humerous, and showed the personality of who sat there, there was no rhyme or reason to this convention, and if someone left, the next guy would not like to work on minnie! (well, maybe, but....)

Just remember that for WIN compatability, you need to keep your host names to 8 characters or less. If you go more, then most win32 systems will never be able to find anything!

Regards,
Shannon
Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi Tracy,

whatever the logical sense of a computer name may be, never user more than 8 characters and no special characters and no underscorses.

For fun, I like to use animal names on small teams esp. workstations:

trout, pike, bass, .... (developer)
tiger, lion, cougar, .... (managers :)
deer, elk, moose, ... (kind people)
lizzy, worm, spider, ... (will not tell here :)

For servers I like some description related to the job (fs=fileserver, db=dbserver, airportcodes=location ...)

hamfs01
ffmdb03

Volker