Operating System - HP-UX
1758584 Members
1834 Online
108872 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which is the best kernel configuration tool?

Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Which is the best kernel configuration tool?

Hello,

I am in the process of evaluating various kernel configuration tools.

I am currently using the HP-UX Kernel Configuration tool (kcweb) on HP-UX 11i v2 (11.23) to configure kernel parameters, and modules. I can also create alarms when threshold for a particular tunable has exceeded. Also, I can view change logs. Also, the Web-based kcweb GUI looks great.

Question 1:
Are there any other Web-based kernel configuration tools or unix-based kernel configuration tools that are available in the market apart from the Kernel Configuration area of SAM and kcweb? Any links or pointers would be great.

Question 2:
Also, are there any features that kcweb does not have but are available in other kernel configuration tools? Any comments, suggestions, links or pointers would be great.

Looking forward to your replies....

Thanks,
Hemanth
3 REPLIES 3
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

To my knowledge I don't think there is a tool for the kernel configuration apart from SAM and now kcweb.
Hemanth Gurunath Basrur
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I am not just looking at kernel configuration too, which HP provides. I would like to know about kernel configuration tools provided by various other companies (Web-based or unix-based) and which according to you is the best.

Regards,
Hemanth
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

SAM and KCWEB are the only tools that will assist you. There are other sources of information in knowing what parameters are for what. These can be gained of course through experience of your own with certain applications and databases and of course through the various software vendors that require parameters to be set. The forums are another valuable place. Compiling a kernel from the command line will read the system file for syntax errors (incorrect spelling and parameters that don't exist).

Start here for information on kcweb. It also has some links to further information.

http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=Casey
Anyone for a Mutiny ?