New Discussion юеВ

work load averages are always 3.5 to 5.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
shankar_3
Advisor

work load averages are always 3.5 to 5.5

first i 'll explain the condition.
M/C- C3000,hp visuvalize PA-RISC based workstation.400MHZ-processor,512MB-memory
9GB-Harddisk
OS HP-UX 11.11

1.there are two process samd & swci always occupiying the cpu process 100%.
2.we stoped permanently the samd but swci process took full 100% of cpu process.
3 in that time cpu load average 2.0 to 2.5 with UG .
4.now we reinstalled the os as per user configuration. /stand 300MB /swap+dump 2000MB
/ 3000MB
5.samd & swci right now normal.
6.but cpu load averages 3.5 to 5.5 meanwhile all individual output of cpu is ok.
7. so i planed to set kernal config fr exact dito M/C. done it,but same work load only.
8.we swap the harddisk other M/c harddisk working fine . this M/c hdd id working with same workload 4 to 5.
9.we fixed one new HDD & reinstalled the OS. still cpu workload is 4 to 5.
10. finally i take exact copy of the running M/c through Ignite backup & boot fr DAT . and i installed the os through interactive setup.
11. Now the cpu load avarege of the M/c is 0.3 to 1.3 without UG.

SO My question is after complete reinstallation the M/c should work with cpu load of 0.1 to 0.5. but above case what is exactly required to meet the correct CPU AVERAGE LOAD ????

Please help me & Mentioned exact point.

Thanks in advance...

MY MAIL ID eshankarg@yahoo.co.in

regards.
shankar
9 REPLIES 9
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Re: work load averages are always 3.5 to 5.5

Those two processees should not be taking up so much cpu.

I would recommend you get the lastest December 2003 patch set installed for 11.11

11.11 has a tendency to run hot if not properly patched. I would go over performance patches and dependencies at the main patch link on the itrc front page next.

After that, I'd collect performance data with the script I'm attaching and look for bottlenecks. Kernel configuration can have a big impact on this.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
shankar_3
Advisor

Hi,

thanks for reply..

see right now that end user feeling that no need to reinstall the OS. instead of that just restore the image from the one working M/c. so i need to clear the issue that,

after complete reinstall any patch is must required or not .Is there any patch then reply me exactly where i'll get.

I experting one good reply from anyone to solve the issue. help me.

Shankar
shankar_3
Advisor

Hi,

right now i send results of workstation .
please find the attchment hpinfo.zip . inthat two results are there. one is before restore the image of HP 11.11 os (hpinfo-p). another one is hpinfo.zip that is after loading the OS image from one M/c.

so kindly help me in case to give proper solution to end user.

Thanks in advance.

Shankar
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Shankar,

I came across in one of the notes in itrc. swci is an SCM (service control manager) process. SCM requires DCE CORE and KT tools. Make sure you have correct versions installed. On 11i, people sometimes may install 11.0 DCE tools. Check the version by using

swlist -l product |grep -i DCE

You should see something like B.11.xx.xx. If you see B.11.00.xx, then they are 11.0 packages. You should remove them and install 11i components.

Make sure you prepare an ignite tape in case something breaks due to this re-install.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
shankar_3
Advisor

sridhar,

its already loaded.(DCE)

only one thing i have to clear right now. that is after reinstalled the HP 11.11 OS any patch is required for getting good performanece. this is only thing i have to clear. coz already i explined clearly on my first mail. right now M/c working because of i done Ignite backup & restore .

So. please anybody explain where is exact problem.In second mail already i forwarded some results from the faulty M/c.

Shankar
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Shankar,

Looks like you didn't understand my message. I didn't say to reload OS. I asked you to check if DCE-CORE and DCE-KT Tools are of 11i version. Looks like the case you have is a known one where the 11i systems have 11.0 DCE products installed causing swci to incrase the load.

If you just recover your ignite tape, you are not going to get any benefit as you are basically reloading the same thing.

If you want to reinstall OS fresh, then it's upto you. You will need to make sure you have reasonably latest (to the max 6months old) patch bundles installed on your box.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Shankar,

Some HP workstations show a high load even when they are essentailly idle. This issue is discussed under the Technical Knowledge Base FAQ's. You'll find it at
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/search.do?category=c0&mode=id&searchCrit=allwords&docType=Security&docType=Patch&docType=EngineerNotes&docType=BugReports&docType=Hardware&docType=ReferenceMaterials&docType=ThirdParty&searchString=UCMDSKBRC00007173

A patch PHKL_24551 for 11.11 has been released to correct this behaviour.

I suspect you're suffering from this problem. If so the patch should correct it.
shankar_3
Advisor

hi tom,

Thanks, for your information. i got a patch. & i didn't get that Knowledge base FAQs. I serched that FAQ in mentioned link but its results were zero. if u have please sent me..

Hi sri,

are you gone through my first & third mails. And M/c having proper 11.11 DCE .

Shankar.

Tom Ward_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Shankar,

Here's how to get to the FAQ:
From the main ITRC page select "navigate knowledge trees" under the
"maintenance and support (hp products)" section.

On the page titled "knowledge trees" select the "FAQs" link under the HP-UX sect
ion.

On the page titled "knowledge trees: Question: HP-UX System Adminitration" selec
t the "HP-UX Core OS FAQs."

On the page titled "knowledge trees: Action: HP-UX Core OS FAQs" select
the link for "Load averages are high even on 100% idle system." And there it is.

I was wondering what you mean by M/C. I've seen that a few times before, but I
don't know what that refers to.

I noticed you're using workstations, and I've seen that high load issue before.

Regards,
Tom