108848 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Xt Warning: Color Name not defined

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

Re: Xt Warning: Color Name not defined

Yes you can add /usr/lib/X11/ncd to tftp entry in /etc/inetd.conf and then run 'inetd -c'.

Also make sure you kill off any tftpd processes if there are any running so that inetd can spawn a copy with new arguments/paths.

For security reasons you are also advised to define tftp user in passwd file unless you already have one.

tftp:*:510:101:tftp server:/home/tftpdir:/usr/bin/false
Sylvain CROUET
Respected Contributor

It does not work better. I still get the %FILE-E-NOREAD message at boot.
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

Is /usr/lib/X11/ncd/rgb.txt or any of the directories in the path symbolically linked someplace else? If so, try adding real paths to tftpd line in /etc/inetd.conf.

Test tftp from command line. Login as normal user, and try to retrieve rgb.txt.

$ cd $HOME
$ tftp localhost
tftp> get /usr/lib/X11/ncd/rgb.txt
tftp> quit

If you don't find rgb.txt in $HOME tftpd is not allowed access to /usr/lib/X11/ncd.
Sylvain CROUET
Respected Contributor

It works. I login onto the system as root and su - to a normal user:
$ tftp localhost
tftp> get /usr/lib/X11/ncd/rgb.txt
Received 17903 bytes in 0.1 seconds
tftp> quit
$ exit
logout
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

Are there any tftp errors in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log?

Run 'inetd -l' and watch syslog.log as X station reboots. You should see a connection attempt (tftp/udp: connection from ...). If you don't then X station is not using correct TFTP server or is not using TFTP to get the files. Check X station settings to make sure it's using TFTP and not some other method such as NFS to get files (rgb.txt etc).

If X station is really trying to get rgb.txt via TFTP, then you could try tracing tftpd with tusc.

If you don't have tusc you can get it from here.

ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/tools/

Attach to running tftpd with

# tusc -fv -o /tmp/tusc.log

Search /tmp/tusc.log for rgb.txt, to see what's happening to TFTP request from X station.
Sylvain CROUET
Respected Contributor

The inetd daemon runs now with the -l option:
root 9622 1 0 12:25:29 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd -l

But it does not log anything within /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log. I check it with a local successfull tftp connection.
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

How is your /etc/syslog.conf configured?

You can place the following line in /etc/syslog.conf to capture all syslog messages.

*.debug/var/adm/syslog/debug.log

where is tab character on the keyboard.

Signal syslogd to re-read config file.

# kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

debug.log should now contain record of tftp connections.
Sylvain CROUET
Respected Contributor

Here is what I found in debug.log when I reboot the X terminal:
Apr 19 07:54:21 cexibck inetd[14987]: registrar/tcp: Connection from cexibck (57.11.127.41) at Tue Apr 19 07:54:21 2005
Apr 19 07:55:28 cexibck inetd[9622]: bootps/udp: bind: Address already in use
Apr 19 07:55:28 cexibck inetd[9622]: bootps/udp: Service enabled
Apr 19 07:56:21 cexibck inetd[15181]: registrar/tcp: Connection from cexibck (57.11.127.41) at Tue Apr 19 07:56:21 2005
Apr 19 07:58:21 cexibck inetd[15500]: registrar/tcp: Connection from cexibck (57.11.127.41) at Tue Apr 19 07:58:21 2005

It seems it does not use tftp to boot...
Ermin Borovac
Honored Contributor

Does your X station have a keyboard with 'Setup' key? When pressed it should invoke configuration menu where you can check settings. Or you can try pressing Alt and Setup at the same time.

Otherwise, there might be a way to interrupt X station boot process with Esc key or similar. Then you might be able to access configuration menu with 'se'.

On your HP-UX server check if there is an entry for your X station in /etc/bootptab.
Sylvain CROUET
Respected Contributor

Yes, there is an entry in /etc/bootptab for my terminal and I have several TCP/IP Boot options in the graphical setup menu (the terminal can boot and run CDE). Primary and Previous Boot Sources are configured to TCPIP. TFTP directory is / and NFS directory is /tftpboot/