New Discussion юеВ

can not boot in single mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

can not boot in single mode

Hi,
I am in the dead end now. During the Linux installation, somehow it did not ask me for the root passwd. Now the installation is done, but I don't know what the root passwd is. I tried to boot to single mode to re-install again, but failed. I tried from the GRUB boot loader, but it did not take anything a or e or space bar even how quickly I am, the machine just booted normally. What should I do?
11 REPLIES 11
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Re: can not boot in single mode

boot from the first installation cd and type linux rescue
at the prompt
when the system will boot into rescue environment edit the file /mnt/sysimage/etc/inittab locate the line

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
and change it to
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1 --autologin root
(all on the same line)
save and exit and boot your system normally.
This will cause root to login automatically on first terminal -tty1.
when you're logged in as root-do all necessary changes....
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

How can I boot from the first cd installation? I could not get the prompt.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

Configure your bios to try to boot from cd before trying from hard disk, place the first installation cd in the cdrom and boot the pc.
As installation option type
linux rescue
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

Could you please tell me more details how to configure to boot from cdrom, instead of hdisk? I believe that I should change the bootlist, but not sure I can do it without root id.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor
Solution

You should enter to bios configuration.
On most computers you do it with: del or F2
button upon boot.
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

F2 does work for me. Now I am able to boot from cdrom. Thank you very much.
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

Now I can boot from cdrom and got the promt boot: . However, I could not type anything (I wanted to type linux rescue) even I could not type "linux text" as one of its options. I also saw the option F5-rescue, but nothing happened when I press F5. The promt just sat there a while and started the installation from cdrom that I don't want because I don't need the installation. What should I do? Thanks in advance.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

That's weird, it seems that your keyboard is not working when booting from the installation CD, maybe an IRQ conflict?

Did you changed anything else in the setup program? You may try settings BIOS values to default, and then configure the boot options again to start with cdrom first.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Anh-Thu Tran
Frequent Advisor

Does I need to take the CD out after getting the boot promt or still leave it inside?