New Discussion юеВ

CUPS Troubleshooting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edward McCouch
Frequent Advisor

CUPS Troubleshooting

Hello all,

I am trying to set up CUPS on an Itanium server running Redhat AS Rel3 Upd4. I keep getting the error message: "lpinfo: Unable to connect to server: Connection timed out" I get this error message regardless of the lp command that I run.

The 'cupsd' is running. I have run "netsysv" to make sure that the cups server was started and I have also made sure that I can see 'cupsd' by doing 'ps -ef |grep cupsd.' Also 'redhat-config-printer' is no help either as that continually locks up and then errors out when I try to exit OR print a test page. I have looked at the /var/log/cups/error.msg (no other log file is produced) and I get no infomation.

The object of my excercise is to test network printers and see if linux (specifically redhat) will be able to handle it as well as the HP-UX 11.i servers.

I have tried reading through Redhat's doc on printer setup and CUPS admin doc. Both make the horrible assumption that the first printer that you are going to setup will be locally connected to the machine. They also assume that the administrator is running the gui or would prefer to use a webbrowser to configure printers. Neither is helpful as they assume if you need to troubleshoot a problem, it is with a printer and not with the actual software. The best part is that Redhat's doc says NOT to edit the /etc/cups files b/c they are created dynamically and all the CUPS doc says to edit the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

I know that I am missing something, somewhere and I'm betting that it is probably a simple fix. Can someone point me in the right direction--and NOT to the worthless CUPS admin doc?!?!

Thanks in advance,
Ed
3 REPLIES 3
RAC_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: CUPS Troubleshooting

Not worked much on CUPS. Is host name resolution correct?? i.e with ip address and with hostname??
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Edward McCouch
Frequent Advisor

I found the problem. Another admin suggested that perhaps there was a problem in /etc/hosts (as did RAC) and when I looked, the loopback address had a space in it--which was strange, but once I fixed it, everything began working.
Edward McCouch
Frequent Advisor

Didn't realise that there was a comments section when closing a thread....

Anyway, the problem was in /etc/hosts, the entry looked like this:

127.0.0. 1 localhost.localdomain localhost

instead of this:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Once this was solved, everything began working.