108891 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FTP with RedHat 7.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vernon Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

FTP with RedHat 7.2

I'm using RedHat 7.2 Linux distribution on my HP 8500 set up as my Internet gateway. Thanks to your help I now have Internet access from my LAN computers. Now I'm trying to get FTP working. Using CuteFtp I get "Can't Login; still trying" error message. I can log in with Telnet to the same user ID I'm trying to FTP to.
I had this working with RedHat 6.1; I think it worked right out of the box. Since upgrading to 7.2 I can't get it to work. Documentation says I need a couple of entrys in inetd.conf but there's no inetd.conf in the /etc directory. ?? Anybody have a clue about what might be wrong???
4 REPLIES 4
Vernon Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

Re: FTP with RedHat 7.2

Clarification:

I'm trying to FTP locally to the LAN gateway box from computers within the LAN. FTP will connect to my remote internet website hosted by an ISP, but fails at the point where a directory listing should come in.
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

Unlike RedHat 6.x, RedHat 7.x uses xinetd which stands for "eXtended inetd". This daemon does the same thing as inetd, but its configuration differs and offers more possibilities.

Go to /etc/xinetd.d, find the configuration file for the FTP daemon actually installed on you Linux box, edit that file and change the "disable = yes" option to "disable = no".

After that, force the xinetd to read its configuration file by typing killall -10 xinetd

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Jeffrey S. Sims
Trusted Contributor

Vernon,

What was said above should work for you, all I have to add is, if the ftp file doesn't exist in the /etc/xinetd.d directory you can always copy a file that does exist and edit it to start your ftp server.

Hope it helps.
Vernon Brown_2
Frequent Advisor

Kodjo's solution worked great !! Thanks. This forum is saving me mucho hours of toil !!