108909 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: howto uninstall a perl module?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

howto uninstall a perl module?

First off: I don't really want to blindly load some perl module to unload perl modules. That sounds like sending an email that the email is down.

Nope. I have a SOAP perl module that conflicts with a SOAP::Lite perl module. How do I get rid of the SOAP perl module?
I know there's a xxxx/perl/lib/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/auto/SOAP/.packlist
file that lists about 40 files in it. Do I just delete these files?

Is there a way to verify in perl that the modules are installed right? I know we have swverify of hpux. Perhaps there's a perl-ish way?

Now why am I asking these questions here instead of browsing the internet for it? Because all I found via google are places that I don't trust. They look like a lot of snake-oil salesmen instead of a simple community. I saw my question out there. But I didn't see a simple answer. (except to blindly load more modules).

6 REPLIES 6
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor
Solution

There isn't. Indeed remove the files from the packlist

Either that, or install the module you want in a different tree, and set $PERL5LIB so it is always prefered over the default tree

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Ok. That's what I thought. First off I made a copy off all of perl. Then I did this. It seems to work.

But I ran "perldoc perllocal" and the SOAP is still in listed. Is there some database file that perllocal is read from?
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Ok. I found it. I have to modify file
xxx/perl/lib/5.8.1/PA-RISC2.0/perllocal.pod.
It gets updated when I run
"gmake install".

It looks like I should also hold only the stdout of "gmake install" when I put something new in.

Thanks for the help.
Steve
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

AcK!
hold only?
I meant "keep a copy" of stdout.
Error between the data pipe of brains to fingers.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

on linux i do the following; compile he module, create a package (rpm, deb), install that package. afterwards i can remove the package if needed.

probably you can do the same in hpux, creating depot files, but i've never done that before.
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Yes, you could do so, but it won't be fun.
Creating depot description files is a crime. IMHO not worth the extra time needed to make a depot so you can use swremove.