1755166 Members
3092 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPUX on Itanium

C R S
Occasional Advisor

HPUX on Itanium

I'm trying to find some info about compiling and running 32-bit applications that use Oracle on an Itanium server running HPUX 11.23.

we currently run on HP PA-RISC servers. I'm wondering how much of a perfomance change(good or Bad) we will see when we port to the Itanium. I've been getting conflicting reports on how well Itaniums run 32-bit apps.

We currently aren't ready to port our app to 64-bit but most of our customers prefer HP hardware so we are looking at Itanium.

Thanks for any info or documents that could help me out.

CRS
4 REPLIES 4
Wim Rombauts
Honored Contributor

Re: HPUX on Itanium

One thing is that the current DC-Itanium processors are more then twice as fast as the fastest PA-8900 processor. Even is your 32-bit application is not performing 100% on Itanium, the is a certain performance gain.
If I am not mistaken, you could even try to run your PA-RISC application unmodified on Itanium, using the ARIES emulation software. This way you can probably already get a performance idea without too much effort.
A native Itanium recompilation will give a much better performance of course.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

The confusion likely stems from the FUD about running 32-bit _x86_ binaries on Itanium, which is only under Linux and perhaps Windows.

HP-UX provides support for native Itanium 32-bit binaries and they run just fine. There is no performance penalty for running a native 32-bit Itanium application under HP-UX.

The only wrinkle _might_ be if you link to Oracle libraries - make sure they provide native Itanium 32-bit versions.

Depending on how "clean" your applications are already the "port" to 64-bit might not be all that difficult. And given that 64-bit has been happening in HP-UX since 1997, it might not be a bad idea to get started :) There are some options to the HP compilers to get them to emit 64-bit migration warnings. That would be a good starting point I would think.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If you don't recompile at all and just copy over the 32bit executables, they will run under the ARIES emulator on Itanium. You can expect to see a truly compute-bound application (no I/O) slow down like in any emulator/interpreter. The general experience is that you'll see about 3x excution rate penalty. But if the application is a database app, the vast majority of clock time is spent waiting on I/O, whether it is getting records from Oracle or waiting for application files. That means that the slower execution time is generally masked by similar I/O time between PARISC and Itanium.

But recompile your 32bit apps on Itanium and yes, you'll see a dramatic increase in performance over PARISC, especially compared to pre-8800 PARISC processors.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP-UX on Integrity

The difference between +DD32 (the default) and +DD64 is composed of two parts. Using +DD32 causes extra addp4 instructions, possibly increasing instruction cache/TLB. Using +DD64 causes your longs and pointers to double in size, causing data cache/TLB issues.

In most cases, the increase in data size will cause +DD64 to be slower.

>Rick: There are some options to the HP compilers to get them to emit 64-bit migration warnings.

This is +w64bit. Or on PA, +M2.