108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MySql Files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

MySql Files

I obtained the following files from a CD in our shop. Can somebody explain what they do and why i will need them all? Thanks.

Mysql-3.22.32-1.i386.rpm
mysql-bench....
mysql-client....
mysql-devel ...
mysql-shared ...

4 REPLIES 4
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

Re: MySql Files

Kyle D. Harris
Regular Advisor

I guess what i'm wondering is "Do i need all of those files?"
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

well, it depends on what you plan to do exactly. You may need them. Maybe not...

From the link...

In most cases, you only need to install the MySQL-server and MySQL-client packages to get a functional MySQL installation. The other packages are not required for a standard installation. If you want to run a MySQL-Max server that has additional capabilities, you should install the MySQL-Max RPM. However, you should do so only after installing the MySQL-server RPM. See section 5.1.2 mysqld-max, An Extended mysqld Server.

And a bit further....

# MySQL-client-VERSION.i386.rpm The standard MySQL client programs. You probably always want to install this package.
# MySQL-bench-VERSION.i386.rpm Tests and benchmarks. Requires Perl and the DBD::mysql module.
# MySQL-devel-VERSION.i386.rpm The libraries and include files that are needed if you want to compile other MySQL clients, such as the Perl modules.
# MySQL-shared-VERSION.i386.rpm This package contains the shared libraries (libmysqlclient.so*) that certain languages and applications need to dynamically load and use MySQL.
# MySQL-shared-compat-VERSION.i386.rpm This package includes the shared libraries for both MySQL 3.23 and MySQL 4.0. Install this package instead of MySQL-shared, if you have applications installed that are dynamically linked against MySQL 3.23 but you want to upgrade to MySQL 4.0 without breaking the library dependencies. This package is available since MySQL 4.0.13

RTFM read the friendly manual.
You're lucky...in this case it is a friendly manual...
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

3.22 is a very old release. If you are just starting I would at least go for a 4.0.x release, which is the current production branch of MySQL.

Check http://www.mysql.com/ for details.

Greetings, Martin