108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question about the Eclipse C/C++ development tool

SOLVED
Go to solution
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Question about the Eclipse C/C++ development tool

I'm in the process of upgrading a K580 server running 32-bit 11.0 to 32-bit 11i v2 (with 2gb of memory). The developers want to use this Eclipse tool which has "HP Integrity Server/HP-UX 11i v2 or later" as a supported platform in its documentation. Will this be supported on a K580 (RISC-based) server running that version of the OS at 32-bit ? The developers want to maintain the 32-bit OS.
thanks
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Question about the Eclipse C/C++ development tool

Stop. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.00. Your K-box (or any K-box) will not run 11i v2 (11.23) and there is no 32-bit version of 11.23.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your developers need to transition to the 21st century (are they still using Windows 98?). HP has not made any servers in the last several years that will run a 32bit OS. 11.0 64bit was first available in 1997. You will not find anything faster than the K580 running a 32bit OS except an A500 (aka, rp 2450) which hasn't been manufactured since 2002. The good news is that all the 32bit compatible servers are quite cheap, with K-class boxes selling for 1 or 2 dollars a pound.

Now there has been about 10 years of notification and testing to show that properly designed 32bit applications will run without any change in a 64bit OS, a major feature of HP's 64bit OS. Here's a history of servers for the last decade. Notice that the latest servers do NOT run 11.00 at all and 11.0 is obsolete this year.

Time marches on...

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Luis Toro
Regular Advisor

Thank you both for the rather colorful replies. This is an old legacy application that has been "going away" or "to be migrated to a Windows application" for several years now. The individuals that coded the app are no longer around, hence the apprehension to upgrade, or make any changes for that matter.