1755306 Members
3880 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Redhat Linux crash

muralikrishna
Advisor

Redhat Linux crash

Hi Due to power problem my linux server 4.5 is crashed. For recovery i done fsck its showin below error.
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5 is mounted.

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue (y/n)? yes

/: recovering journal
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to re-open /
EXT3-fs error: ext3_get_inode_block: bad inode number: 129
EXT3-fs error (device cciss/c0d0p5) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: IO failure
EXT3-fs error (device cciss/c0d0p5) in ext3_dirty_inode: IO failure
Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/cciss/c0d0p5 exited with signal 11.
(Repair filesystem) 2 # fsck -y
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error: ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted jou
rnal
Remounting filesystem read-only
fsck

Please tell me how to recover my server?
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Redhat Linux crash

Before writing the word "yes" ├В┬┐Did you read the message?

>>> WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
SEVERE filesystem damage.

You never should run fsck on a mounted file system, worst yet the root file system.

>>> /dev/cciss/c0d0p5 is mounted.

If the system crash was caused by any cause, now, that you executed fsck on a mounted file system, for sure the system is corrupted.

You probably need to reinstall the system.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
muralikrishna
Advisor

HI
Thank you. If next time comes same issue what shall i do to recovery OS.
Nuwan Alwis
Valued Contributor

Hi,
As the message say dont run it on mounted FS

use umount command and unmount all the file systems on /etc/fstab

then run fsck.ext3 on each file system you unmounted.

Good luck!
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You should boot with the installation media and run a shell (linux rescue).

There you can run fsck for the root file system.

In case of a power failure, you normally won't need to run fsck unless it's asked by the operating system on boot.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
attaamiri

I don't know why the system allows fsck to run on a mounted device when it thinks there is a chance of corrupting it? When I umount'ed the file system, it complained that the file system is not mounted! So I figured I would need it mounted and ignored the warning and ended up with this same problem!!!
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

By the prompt "(Repair filesystem) 2 #" I think your system has stopped early in the boot sequence. It would be important to read the messages that appeared before the first prompt to see _which_ filesystem needs fixing. It looks like you chose the wrong one.

If you have a problem with the root filesystem, you cannot unmount it: unmounting the root filesystem would make it impossible to access any commands.

Instead, the correct procedure for fsck'ing the root filesystem is to re-mount it read-only before running a fsck on it:

mount -o remount,ro /

When the system has crashed and stops early in the boot sequence because of filesystem errors, the /etc/mtab file may be "stale" (= describing the situation before the crash, not the current situation). That may confuse the "mount" command... and the unwary sysadmin, too.

/proc/mounts is another list of currently-mounted filesystems. Because it is managed by the kernel in the virtual /proc filesystem, it is always up to date.
If the system stops early in the boot sequence, it is possible that /proc is not mounted yet: fortunately, this is simple to fix.

mount /proc

Because /proc is a virtual filesystem, it does not need fsck'ing and is always safe to mount.

In your case, the system apparently had already successfully checked the root filesystem and mounted it read/write, as part of the normal boot sequence.

After that, the system checks any other configured filesystems... but apparently your system encountered a filesystem error that it cannot fix without asking an explicit permission from the sysadmin (because the fix may require truncating a file or something).

Then the system dropped to a shell prompt, and you told it to run fsck on the root filesystem that already was checked and mounted read/write.
MK
Ragu_3
Trusted Contributor

Recovery is not the issue now, access is. As Ivan posted, please read console messages. Can you give me console access via your KVM switch or serial device?

Ask HP if you have support, else renew your support contract.
Debian GNU/Linux for the Enterprise! Ask HP ...