1755101 Members
1807 Online
108829 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

transfer files

heaman1
Regular Advisor

transfer files

I would like to use rsync , ssh to copy file to remote server , but I found if I add "> /tmp/log" to my rsync , ssh command , it will not output what file is tranferred to remote server to /tmp/log , can advise if I want to have a file transfer log so that I can trace the problem , what can i do ?

if I only want to output the transferred file name , not includes the transfer speed , file size , what can I do ? thx
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: transfer files

Use the "--log-format" option to format the file transfer log as you wish. See "man rsyncd.conf" to see all the possible log format keys.

For example:
rsync --log-format='%f' somefile.txt somehost: >rsync.log

will output to rsync.log:
somefile.txt

NOTE: rsync will list the filename also if the file already exists in the destination. In this case, rsync only transfers a bit of metadata (file modification time, checksum) to allow the receiving end to verify that the file is the same and no transfer is needed.

MK
MK
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: transfer files

In keeping with Matti's theme. You can also just add --log-file=FILE to the rsync command.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"