108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to add HP J2577A EISA LAN card with RH 7.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Mancillas
Advisor

Trying to add HP J2577A EISA LAN card with RH 7.2

I'm trying to add a second LAN card to my HP Netserver 5/133 LC running Red Hat 7.2. My first LAN card is a 3COM PCI card that works fine. I just added a HP J2577A EISA LAN card and booted up the system. I had to run the EISA Config utility first and that ran OK. But it does not look like Red Hat sees the EISA card. I ran the "ifconfig -a" and it only shows the "eth0" 3Com card. I ran the Network Config utility and defined the LAN card vendor name, eth1 device and the IRQ but it gave the error message "The Ethernet card could not be initialized." Can anyone provide some help with this problem?

Thanks

Paul Mancillas
3 REPLIES 3
I_M
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trying to add HP J2577A EISA LAN card with RH 7.2

Hi

J2577A uses "hp100" as a driver.
Have you tried "#insmod hp100"?

If it works, what you need is add "alias eth1 hp100" in /etc/modules.conf and then setup your 2nd NIC.

Good luck
Paul Mancillas
Advisor

Masanari,
Thanks for the information. I did the "insmod hp100" and added the line to the /etc/modules.conf file and now I can see the eth1 card with the Network Config utility.

Paul
harry manback

I am trying to get the 27248A Ethertwist/32 EISA LAN card in my HP Netserver 4d/66/LE to work with RedHat and Debian. According to the Linux HCL's, the card should be supported by module hp.o, but a modprobe with all possible IO ports and IRQ's doesnt work. According to the HP configuration utilities, the card works on IO 2C00 and IRQ 5 (EISA IO range). No mather what addresses I submit, the hp.o module won't find my card. I have no problems whatsoever using 3Com Etherlink (II/III) cards in the HP Netserver, also on the EISA bus.
The HP utilities report the 27248A card works OK.

Is there any way to get this relatively old card working with Debian or RedHat Linux?